The online racing simulator
I will test out LFS Stats to see if it shows specific settings but afaik, it doens't, only states "setup work" and thats it. Will check now.
Lep, i had a try out with the sets last night and found the car very "interestin" to drive. the initial turn in was unbelievable but i found the car had alot of understeer when u tried to get on the power...

I assume we can make the changes to caster/toe and ARB to change this to suit our driving styles?

I played around with camber a little and found it made the front end turn in less aggressive which made it slightly easier to drive, especially for new drivers and longer race distance.

Has anyone tried playing around with toe's?
i did some testing with brake balance, setting it more to the rear seemed to help me abit.. but the rears overheated more. :lol: typical..

i was going to try some toe changes but i need to get my head around what effect they have again
When are you planning on finalising the base setup? since the race is in 1 week would be good to have a final version now.

I have attached one i tried making with the stiff springs and lots of damping to reduce the bouncing. not overtseery on entry like the last one and not understeery on exit either.
Attached files
FZR_GT3 R.set - 132 B - 968 views
it would be really great to know, which setup will be used in this cup, because the 2 settings are quite different.
I will test the super stiff set tonight on all of the league tracks to see if its acceptable. If it fails on more than one track (wheels lock up too easily, lots of bouncyness) then we will use the alternate.
Look at the rules again please, it says if i drive with a setup that doesnt obide the the restrictions i will receive a +2second penalty, now i can do low 1:07's on a normal set and im sure alot of others can racing too, so if i use say the WR setup and get a low 1.07 that mans i will then have a qually time of a low 1.09 which would most probably give me pole. Althought everyone should be trusted not to cheat im just bringing it to your attention. IMO driving with illegal setups should be put to the back of the grid as they are effectively disqualified as soon as they leave the pits.

Also i would like to suggest a 3 round knock-out qualifying where you get one lap to put in a time 1st round 20 advance 2nd round 10 advance 3rd round is qualifying for the top 10 all getting 1 lap each, and making drivers consistant on their qualifying lap, ive raced in a spec series with this before and it was very good.
Well, if there will be someone whos getting a 1:07, that means that they're not running a restricted FZR and I will be enforcing restrictions through an InSim application that will monitor each car to see if they're using restrictions or no so if there car is anything below (also checks if its above) the restrictions, the driver will be kicked to spectate and as stated in the rules, won't be allowed to qualify any further. So quite simply, if a driver isn't running a restricted setup, the best that he will most likely be able to do is a mid-high 1:09 by which then their final time would be considered a mid-high 1:11.
Quote from Leprekaun :So quite simply, if a driver isn't running a restricted setup, the best that he will most likely be able to do is a mid-high 1:09 by which then their final time would be considered a mid-high 1:11.

1:11 is still pretty quick. There probably will be people with legitimate setups going slower than this. Just sayin'
This is why i said just disqualify them. And they have to start from the rear of the grid.
Quote from Leprekaun :I will test the super stiff set tonight on all of the league tracks to see if its acceptable. If it fails on more than one track (wheels lock up too easily, lots of bouncyness) then we will use the alternate.

May I suggest that the setup is NOT subject to your liking, but to proper investigation and logic? I don't think Porsche went to all tracks in the whole world to test if the car handles great on every single one...
K, will change the rule to the back of the grid.

@bbman: its not about whether I like the setup or not, its about whether its driveable for all tracks or not. Porsche don't go every track to test, simply, because it would be very costly and difficult for them to do so so I'm sure they just calculate everything back at Weissach where they have detailed equipment and data of each track to make sure the car's suspension settings are realistic. Remember as well that they race on F1 tracks (silk smooth roads) so they don't exactly suffer from the issues of crazy jumping when it comes to a bump. I've watched these cars live when I was at Silverstone and they were fairly stable, except for a little bouncyness (I mean very little) when they went over kerbs.

I've tested the Benji's super stiff set and I'm sorry to say that it has failed for most of the tracks. At Blackwood, the car was very unpredictable and had HUGE amounts of oversteer on throttle. At Westhill, I felt like I was driving on ice, I had to be super careful not slide it into any of the fast corners. At Kyoto, it was acceptable although, at the exit of one or two corners it felt a bity hairy but it passed there. Also, it would pass at Kyoto GP as the car didn't seem to offer any suprises. At Fern Bay Black, it failed miserably. The car first of all couldn't go over ANY kerbs which are vital at a track like Fern Bay and it had the issue of understeering out then going into snap oversteer so was quite unpredictable. At South City, the car generally felt fine except for the fact that it kept jumping when it came to the bumps and was very tricky in some of the corners.

At this point, I decided to stop as it already failed 4 out of the 8 tracks so its not acceptable so I will be going with the alternate suspension settings. I'm sad to see it as the car was interesting to drive but being interesting and being raceable can sometimes be impossible.

Sorry Benji, I know you worked hard on the set but it just can't work for a lot of tracks.
Lep, the alternate setup is the softer one, right? I personally find it much much more drivable than any version of the one w/ 260 spring rates. The latter just bounces too much, no matter what the damping is set to.
Also to reiterate my question from another thread, do the adjustable tire pressures mean that there's no min. pressure any more (this is marked with (NEW) in the setup restrictions)?

Cheers,
yes.
Quote from Leprekaun :Porsche don't go every track to test, simply, because it would be very costly and difficult for them to do so so I'm sure they just calculate everything back at Weissach where they have detailed equipment and data of each track to make sure the car's suspension settings are realistic. Remember as well that they race on F1 tracks (silk smooth roads) so they don't exactly suffer from the issues of crazy jumping when it comes to a bump. I've watched these cars live when I was at Silverstone and they were fairly stable, except for a little bouncyness (I mean very little) when they went over kerbs.

I don't think kerbs in RL are smoother than what we have in LfS, do you? As for the bounciness, you obviously still haven't looked at the outputs in Bob's VHPA... I told you since the beginning that the dampers have to be harder in order to resist the high spring frequencies sufficiently... Try 9 kN/s F and 11.5 kN/s R bump and 12 kN/s F and 15.5 kN/s R rebound and watch all the bounciness go...

Another one of my points forever ignored - adjustability of diff preload, as stated in the Porsche GT3 Cup Tech Regs §20.5:
[...]The minimum locking torque of the differential is reached whenever the torque value is 80 Nm - measured at the gearbox driveshaft output flange. The maximum locking torque of the differential is reached whenever the torque value is 180 Nm - measured at the gearbox driveshaft output flange. Exceeding the maximum value is not permissible at any time during the event.

FZ50 GT3 Cup: Suggestions
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG