The online racing simulator
Event 5, Ferb Bay Gold, RAC+FZ5
How difficult are these cars!!? Anyone got some setup tips please?

The RAC is excellent at understeering and the FZ5's tyres are glowing red within a few laps. Very difficult this round, a good challenge.
#2 - t1ger
Too hard. I'm not playing. /throws toys out of pram and takes bat and ball home
#3 - t1ger
/finds stable and drivable RAC set, recovers toys and shares bat and ball again

/joins qualifying server and betters bozo's time

WOHOO!
And where's the part with sharing that set
Eeeexactly
#6 - t1ger
Fair point, here you go!

Its actually a set from the interno website for a different (but similar) track (AS NAT)

Tim
Attached files
RAC_FE3 Qual.set - 132 B - 807 views
Thanks, will give it a go.

[EDIT] Still found that hard to drive. Had to loosen the diff a little to get it stable for me.

I can put faster lap times in with the FZ5 but it destroys tyres as it is very heavy. Having said that, the RAC is simply dangerous to drive on the road
I don't think anyone will enjoy this combination. So difficult. Its just going to be a matter whits and reaching the chequered flag rather than proper racing.

Possibly the worst combination in the series? (though I've not tried the LX4 on the rallycross track yet)
#8 - bozo
Quote from t1ger :/joins qualifying server and betters bozo's time

WOHOO!

You fell into my trap . I've now gone a little quicker and positioned myself right behind you on the grid ... assuming you go no faster, and nobody else comes between us. Just where I was for the last race, and that turned out well for me.

Quote from horrgakx :I don't think anyone will enjoy this combination. So difficult. Its just going to be a matter whits and reaching the chequered flag rather than proper racing.

I think you may be surprised. We had 3 excellent seasons of very close racing in the Road Sport leagues, which featured RAC and FZ5 cars only. With some practice you can become very consistent, and get some very close racing. Those leagues were very enjoyable, and well attended.
#9 - t1ger
Quote from bozo :You fell into my trap . I've now gone a little quicker and positioned myself right behind you on the grid ... assuming you go no faster, and nobody else comes between us. Just where I was for the last race, and that turned out well for me.

Trust me, I am not going to go faster. I think I can, but I don't have time between now and the end of qualifying. I want to work on my race setup now as that was my undoing at the last event.

Tim
I'm using the FZ5, it is much more stable and has better braking, as well as that sequential gearbox, oh and traction control.
I would like to report the unacceptable behaviour of First|Lenhert who restarted the session while I was qualifying and just a few meters before completing a fast lap. This should not go unpunished and I would like to know what is the appropriate course of action for me from now on since I probably lost a very good lap and a few places in the starting grid...
ohhh that´s bad new, it did not have any reason for restart the session:thumbsdow.

I agree with you, it must be punished.
Quote from Makinen :I would like to report the unacceptable behaviour of First|Lenhert who restarted the session while I was qualifying and just a few meters before completing a fast lap. This should not go unpunished and I would like to know what is the appropriate course of action for me from now on since I probably lost a very good lap and a few places in the starting grid...

Hi Makinen,

The behaviour of First|Lenhert is only punishable if we can determine two things:

1. If it was First|Lenhert that caused the race to restart.
2. It is was done on purpose in order to stop someone completing a lap.

With the replay from the server, we can check (1), however, it is our word against his/hers as to if it was deliberate or not. Therefore, unfortunately, I do not believe there is any punishment that we can give out.

Also, we can not give you the credit for a lap that you have not done, no matter what the circumstances (which includes the Insim app crashing).

What I can do, to try to stop this happening in future, is programming into the LFSQual insim app the functionality to watch for restart requests and cancel them immediately. At this moment in time, I am not sure if this is entirely possible, but I will check and report back here. (most likely after this race weekend, as this is a busy weekend for me).

I hope this goes someway to help.

Thanks
Tim
Quote from t1ger :Hi Makinen,

The behaviour of First|Lenhert is only punishable if we can determine two things:

1. If it was First|Lenhert that caused the race to restart.

2. It is was done on purpose in order to stop someone completing a lap.

With the replay from the server, we can check (1), however, it is our word against his/hers as to if it was deliberate or not. Therefore, unfortunately, I do not believe there is any punishment that we can give out.

Also, we can not give you the credit for a lap that you have not done, no matter what the circumstances (which includes the Insim app crashing).

What I can do, to try to stop this happening in future, is programming into the LFSQual insim app the functionality to watch for restart requests and cancel them immediately. At this moment in time, I am not sure if this is entirely possible, but I will check and report back here. (most likely after this race weekend, as this is a busy weekend for me).

I hope this goes someway to help.

Thanks
Tim

As I wrote, there were the two of us in the server at the moment, and yes, it can be cross-checked from the server logs. Right now of course I can't take my lap back or anything so at least a bit of justice for me would be some mechanism that would prevent future mistakes or "mistakes" from happening... Users voting in the qual server should be forbidden from now on (and I can't really say he did it on purpose but still, I can't say the opposite too)
Its really good that the team behind this series are taking these things on board and doing something about them. The new server qualifying system and the new race-start feature is absolutely excellent and something every series should have.

Well done devs, your work is hugely appreciated.
yes don't worry it happened to me last week too...we'll try and sort it out as soon as we can. This is a good time to remind everyone that there is no need to vote to restart on the quali server, there is no race or practice session to restart, you have 12 laps and that is that, you do not get 12 more by pressing shift + r.
Quote from horrgakx :Its really good that the team behind this series are taking these things on board and doing something about them. The new server qualifying system and the new race-start feature is absolutely excellent and something every series should have.

Well done devs, your work is hugely appreciated.

Thanks, kind words indeed.
only 24 minutes left until my first race in OLFSL starts

I had trouble in the qualifying session, so I could only do a lap for Grid 5... Now my racelaps are 2 seconds faster than my qualy-lap... let's see what happens on track. Had some great tests, but the real race will be something different
Sooo
Pool2 qual 2 race 2
Some great fights witk Nick_k. He was much faster than me
Other than that boring some fights with the car too
Pool 4 - started well and managed to stay in fifth position. Then got punched up the back end in the first chicane and ended up facing the wrong way.

Then the coolest thing happened where a car spun through the chicane flips over and bounced off the top of my car - I physically ducked!

Anyway, rejoined in 10th and stayed there for a bit with my mate bozo behind me. I seemed to be able to keep him behind for a bit, but then I lost it every so slightly, and he got past. Then another past me (horragkx I think) and then another - and now I was really disheartened. Then horragkx spun and I got past and I got some renewed energy and went after 3 FZ5's. Got past one cleanly, then tried the next but got a bit sideways! I think I would have made it too if I hadn't of hit my Windows key (my keyboard sits under my wheel you see)!

By the time I got LFS maximised again, I was in the wall and my steering wheel had got un-calibrated. I didn't know if I had ruined anyones race and, coupled with the fact that I was fighting all the time to keep the car going straight, I decided to end the race there and then.

I hate this car, and I still will not be driving it regularly.

See you all at the next race. Now that one I do like!

Tim
Good race in pool 3

Did anyone happen to save the replay?
What an amazing first race

I startet really good at the 2nd place and managed it to be first in the first corner, but the tires have been cold, so the car slided a bit sidewards and I opened the ideal line. So I was 2nd and the car in front of me breaked a bit too early, so that I had to go straight into the barrier. After this I was 13th and made my way through the field. In Lap 3 I've been back on place 3.. As I watched in the mirror in turn 1 I saw a car coming up really fast. That guy pushed me so hard into the barrier, that I had to do my pitstop. The Lap was really slow, because nearly everything was broken at the car.

After the 38 sec. pitstop I've been 15th and last, nearly one Lap behind... Then I started my big comeback with Laptimes in the low 1:34s... So my Laps have been 2-3 seconds faster than the rest of the grid (fastest lap behind mine: 1:35.8x)...

The next laps have been amazing. I made nearly one place per lap... I felt like a small (pool 5) Michael Schumacher at his best times 5 Laps to go I've been on 2nd Place. The first time, i was on the bridge, he was below... And each lap I've seen, that I get closer. But then a mistake cost me around 6 seconds and he could drive home his first place easiely

I'm really satisfied with this 2nd place
Quote from t1ger : I didn't know if I had ruined anyones race and, coupled with the fact that I was fighting all the time to keep the car going straight, I decided to end the race there and then.

I was watching you at the time and you did seem to brake late and hit the side of the guy you were overtaking, think you both went off a little.

--

Race for me was good for first few laps until tires went bad.

After that I drive badly, pitted three times and ended up spinning in front of wakey (sorry dude). Anyway I ended up stuck in a dangerous place and just spectated, I probably could've got to the end but A) was fed up and B) wanted to get out of the risky situation asap.

Looking forward to the next race, I can win in the FXR!
#24 - bozo
Quote from t1ger :Then the coolest thing happened where a car spun through the chicane flips over and bounced off the top of my car - I physically ducked!

Anyway, rejoined in 10th and stayed there for a bit with my mate bozo behind me. I seemed to be able to keep him behind for a bit, but then I lost it every so slightly, and he got past.

I watched the replay Tim, and I'm glad you enjoyed your racing as far as it went. You were driving very strongly until you had that hardware induced off into the wall. The driver who hit you in the chicane was fairly aggressive in the lag lap and first lap also, but he's apologised and hopefully will cool it a bit in the next race.

I had a good start from 8th, and was 7th after the first chicane I think. Took an early pit stop on lap 2, and was pleasantly surprised to see what seemed like half the field crashed just after the chicane. Then had a nice battle for 3 or 4 laps with Tim, eventually making a move stick when he skidded coming out of a corner.

I then caught 'mits', and stayed behind him for most of the rest of the race. Had one pass which failed as I overcooked the corner at the end of the bridge straight, but got through a few laps later. Then I just had to bring the car home into 3rd. With a clearer track after my pitstop I think I could have challenged for a higher finish, but I had fun througout the race so I'm not disappointed at all.
Pool 5 (had not had time to practice due to travel).

Started 4th on the grid, managed to avoid the crashers in the chicane on Lap 1, passed a few cars, and found myself comfortably in the lead, with the tyres getting to a really good temperature and I was systematically improving my laptimes...

(I did see on the radar that a car was gaining on me).

On lap 11, my video card burped and made my screen freeze and I had to reboot...

Getting new hardware soon, this was too annoying

Event 5, Ferb Bay Gold, RAC+FZ5
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG