The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :I was quite a long way back, so perhaps (with the benefit of hindsight) I should have stayed back, but I was on a charge to catch up, so the idea of backing off didn't appeal.

The idea of backing off rarely appeals to me, that's why I didn't just let you through even though I know you're way faster than me over a whole lap.

No hard feelings, a racing incident it is :Handshake
Purely speaking from a CRC rules standpoint, Tristan was more than half a car length alongside (in fact, he was completely alongside) so he did have the corner. On the other hand, from the top-down view it looked more like Tristan driving into Techade than the other way around...

Besides, this is a high speed corner with little room for corrections and in the heat of a race, it's a mistake easily made so I'd just call it an unfortunate racing incident.

Edit: Spent a little too much time on this post, so it's a little redundant, sorry...
Quote from LawVS :Ok, I've done my wizardry on the pic and I must say it looks very action packed with 3 in a line

Nice one!
Quote from bobvanvliet :Purely speaking from a CRC rules standpoint, Tristan was more than half a car length alongside (in fact, he was completely alongside) so he did have the corner. On the other hand, from the top-down view it looked more like Tristan driving into Techade than the other way around...

Besides, this is a high speed corner with little room for corrections and in the heat of a race, it's a mistake easily made so I'd just call it an unfortunate racing incident.

Edit: Spent a little too much time on this post, so it's a little redundant, sorry...

Having seen the replay, personally I think you shouldn't leave late braking quite that late. Tristans car wasn't alongside TechAde's until well into the braking zone.

I did a similar move later in the race and there was slight contact and I was firmly in the wrong.

It's good to have moments like this to cause healthy discussion.
Braking? I don't brake into that corner (not braking thats worth the name, perhaps a quick dab and a lift). But to all intents and purposes that corner requires no braking.

I know was quite a long way back (it looks worse in that video from above than it did from in car), but I was 2 seconds a lap quicker at that stage (my own lack of consistency not withstanding), and the thought of braking to 100mph to follow him didn't appeal so I tried to stay alongside to carry 110mph instead. It didn't *quite* go as planned, but we have shaken hands on it, and there are no hard feelings.

By the way, I'm not being big-headed saying I'm faster. It's rare that I am that quick at a track, and at the remaining races I'll probably be about the same speed as TechAde, so it's best we're friends :P

Quote from tristancliffe :Braking? I don't brake into that corner (not braking thats worth the name, perhaps a quick dab and a lift). But to all intents and purposes that corner requires no braking.

Well, perhaps I should have said "deceleration zone"

On the other hand, TechAde was being closely followed and was in a tricky spot (and should have perhaps expected SOME kind of move), I think he should have taken a more defensive line into that corner. I think 'racing incident' sums it up nicely.
He had just drafted me down the straight. I had moved to the inside to indicate that I wanted the corner. I thought I was always 'just' along side of him, and I think he thought (without the benefit of overhead view, unless he drives like that :O) that I was just alongside him too. We both knew the score, but our combined desire to overtake overcame our combined skill levels momentarily.

Not trying to make it sound more or less my fault, or his. I think it was a racing accident, but it's fun analysising it afterwards. I think we'll have both learnt something from the incident (or the whole bloody event for me!), so next time we'll know what to expect.

Two guys racing each other is great. But racing the same people a lot, and getting to know their habits, likes, dislikes, and therefore being able to second guess them is even better. Thats the biggest reason I've participating in leagues. I just wish there were more races. Right now, after just two events, I've pretty much resigned myself to what I'd consider a poor overall result. With more races per league I'd fancy my chances of making a comeback of sorts. But it's the same for everyone I guess...
By the way Tristan, you should definitely keep at it, don't leave the league on the back of a few bad results...stick at it
K
Quote from TechAde :Did anyone grab a replay of qually?

as promised: *click*

btw great pic and edit Bob and LawVS!
Quote from Samiad :On the other hand, TechAde was being closely followed and was in a tricky spot (and should have perhaps expected SOME kind of move), I think he should have taken a more defensive line into that corner. I think 'racing incident' sums it up nicely.

Yeah, I was trying to get around T1 the way I'd seen Tristan drive it in practice. To be honest, realising that you can actually get through T1 without dropping below 110mph is probably what helped me set 3 PBs in qually, and for that I must thank Tristan, as it was only by watching him that I realised just how quickly you can get through there.

I definitely should have taken a more defensive line with Tristan right on my gearbox, but I had a real Montoya moment and just nailed it trying to get around there as quickly as I could. Not very sensible really, what I should have done was backed off a little and let him through and had a go at drafting into the next braking zone. Well OK, I should have just let him go and resigned myself to another lost position, as thinking I could keep up is just fooling myself really.

Isn't it great to have a discussion like this where we are talking about races we drove in rather than watched on TV?
Just had a thought regarding the title of this topic... wasn't it Rounds 3 and 4, not Round 2?
It depends. I conside it a 5 round league with 2 races per league. Others consider it 5 events, with 2 rounds per event.

Swings and Roundabouts...

Oh, and it was a pleasure to 'help' you with T1. When you nail it, keep your minimum speed at 114mph, it really gives you a buzz. Possibly the best corner in LFS imo (in that car). Although the 'just' flat out left hander at Town is pretty good, but not quite the same.
Quote from tristancliffe :It depends. I conside it a 5 round league with 2 races per league. Others consider it 5 events, with 2 rounds per event.

True enough, I was just thinking about the info posted here.
Quote from tristancliffe :When you nail it, keep your minimum speed at 114mph, it really gives you a buzz. Possibly the best corner in LFS imo (in that car).

Couldn't agree more. I now get that buzz through T1, it was a pretty boring corner to me before. I'll try it at 114, but I have a feeling I'll be visiting the kitty litter. My nerves just won't take it

Edit: Hmm, am I doing too much quoting?
You've got to be aggressive on turn in, and aim right for the kerb on the inside. You'll (hopefully) understeer a little bit, clip the kerb, and start pressing the throttle at about 120. But the time you're on full power you'll be doing 113/114 and on the way. Of course, you need to ride the outside of the turn, so one mistake = wheel on grass/gravel = spin.

Round 2 - Aston National
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG