The online racing simulator
Quote from Viper93 :.................................. I don't know why all of the sudden this came up......................................

Well bcus;

Quote from demonryder :........................ sensible first and last names. Your entry (Demon Ryder) has been removed..............

So thats why its been debatted

First let me make it straight : I cant give a rats ass of the name I am using. What makes me wonder tho why do the names on the first page you only see realistic names. But when you klik on server menu you`ll see a lot of jokeable names connected to the server.

Just a question nothing more.
#77 - Dru
Quote from niels1 :First let me make it straight : I cant give a rats ass of the name I am using. What makes me wonder tho why do the names on the first page you only see realistic names. But when you klik on server menu you`ll see a lot of jokeable names connected to the server.

Just a question nothing more.

Actually thats a little bit of a valid point....

Question - is it possible that for the server page you can instead list the CTRA licence name on there as a default with maybe the lfsusername or in game name in a bracket or possibly available by the deliberate changing of a setting.....

for instance

i would be down as

Justin Parker on the server screen with either (dru) or (CR|dru) in brackets after it.

Sure it would take up a bit more room, but also if the drivers don't have a name, then they would be listed as a unregistered user, therefore 'possibly' making them fill out all their details so they can show up on this server screen??

Just a thought, ignore it without offending me

Cheers,

Dru.
Quote from Viper93 :My question to people, what is the problem with real names?

I don't want to be able to google my name and a link appears to directly me or any of my on-line activities. Simple really.

This issue has raised itself on other forums/platforms and I had to go change my user ID's there as well.

Under no circumstances would I use my real name in such a location.

<sits here in tinfoil hat.......they're coming to take me away, ha ha >
Actually you are not required to use your real name, just a real sounding name (click).

Edit: Actually, as pointed out about a billion times, you are not required to enter any name.

Sheesh, most 'pointless' () quarrel ever!
Hey man give CTRA a break.. they're just trying to make it look good on the surface.
Quote from VoiD :Sounds good and respectfull, but feels like "John Smith".

Lol, we have 2 called <ahem> John Smith in Scotlands rankings

Could well become 3 if I ever have to change mine
John Smith? Isn't he the guy who goes out with Pocahontas?

I put my real name on the CTRA! Now the FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BBC CNN MI6 KGB SAS Mossad YLE IAEA and the others are gonna get me!

Hold on there's someone at the door.
Quote from March Hare :John Smith? Isn't he the guy who goes out with Pocahontas?

I put my real name on the CTRA! Now the FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BBC CNN MI6 KGB SAS Mossad YLE IAEA and the others are gonna get me!

Hold on there's someone at the door.

You obviously have nothing to hide........

:inq:

Nah, seriously it's good that only sensible(ish!) names are used, it only takes another click to find the LFS nickname/username.
We cannot change how the connection list shows up with everyone display name and username. I do believe there is a button located in the UI about being able to make the CTRA userlist be shown with real names only. So we have done everything we can to get rid of online handles for the server aswell.

For those people that are afraid of having their name on the net you do have a choice and you don't have to put your name in and the only thing that affected is the ability to show up on the ranking list which seems fair considering you don't want your name on the net.

You don't even have to use your real name, just a real 'appearing' name. Handles will not be used as a form of identy on the CTRA rankings now or in the near future.
I agree with CTRA guy's on this point, the reason I started this thread was because I thought they deleded my ctra-licence.
Since that was a misunderstanding there is in my opinion no reason for discusion.
I change "Demon Ryder" in "Damon Ryder" and the problem is solved.
Sorry for the trouble.
#86 - SamH
Quote from Demon68 :I agree with CTRA guy's on this point, the reason I started this thread was because I thought they deleded my ctra-licence.
Since that was a misunderstanding there is in my opinion no reason for discusion.
I change "Demon Ryder" in "Damon Ryder" and the problem is solved.
Sorry for the trouble.

No trouble buddy. I've now also changed the way the system message reads, so that it doesn't leave you with the impression you lost your licence. It now sends a message as follows:
Quote :Please use sensible first and last names. Your first/last names (firstname lastname) have been removed. Your licence has not been affected.

Well, if you say "Dick" is bad name, then you're wrong. I've been playing other games online and seen very much different, immature and stupid names, but one guy really was named "Bobby Dick" and it's his real name, I have video with him even on youtube, and name is showed there, I don't see anything bad to have different name as your real name is, there is guy called "Michael Knight" on CTRA, and I wondered is it right or not, but it's all just a game.

(Sorry for my bad English)
#88 - SamH
Quote from Kristjan.J :Well, if you say "Dick" is bad name, then you're wrong. I've been playing other games online and seen very much different, immature and stupid names, but one guy really was named "Bobby Dick" and it's his real name, I have video with him even on youtube, and name is showed there, I don't see anything bad to have different name as your real name is, there is guy called "Michael Knight" on CTRA, and I wondered is it right or not, but it's all just a game.

(Sorry for my bad English)

There is no hard and fast rule, or easy line to draw. Basically it's a case of using your BEST judgement. If one of the CTRA admins removes it, then use BETTER judgement next time

If a CTRA admin decides that a name doesn't meet the standard or is questionable, they may delete it and send an Admin Message to you asking you to re-enter different names. If that happens, then THAT is the rule, and THAT is the line you shouldn't cross.

@Dru, I've been trying to create an *efficient* way of displaying the first/last names in the connection list on the Servers page. Efficient being the key word, because that's causing the delay. At the moment, and until I've done this successfully, unfortunately we're stuck with the current naming system in those lists.
#89 - Dru
Quote from SamH :
@Dru, I've been trying to create an *efficient* way of displaying the first/last names in the connection list on the Servers page. Efficient being the key word, because that's causing the delay. At the moment, and until I've done this successfully, unfortunately we're stuck with the current naming system in those lists.

Thanks for the headsup Sam I can imagine its a devils own job
There seems to be a *lot* of hair-splitting going on here about what's acceptable and what's not.

All of the suggestions of "well, this is a real name but it sounds ridiculous, are you saying that I couldn't use that if it was my real name?!" are, quite frankly, pathetically childish.

The top, middle and bottom of the issue is:
We'd like you to enter your real name in your profile. This allows us to list drivers on the website and have it look like real people have taken part in a race. It looks more professional, it looks good, and if your name appears on the "best of" then it feels good too (I had a lap record for about five minutes ).

If you don't want to put your name in, then don't put anything in.
It's that simple.

No, we won't be able to distinguish between strange, real names and made up sensible-sounding names. No, we probably won't catch every "funny man" who gets a kick out of going against a reasonable, simple request.

I can't believe what a fuss there is, and if you're arguing anonymity then you've a hell of a lot more to worry about than LFS/CTRA. Apologies to you all if this sounds harsh, but I'm hoping that some straight, candid talking will remove any ambuguity in this issue.

Time to put this one to bed.
Cheers Chris, thanks for saying what I have been trying to say. You did it with a bit more tact =)
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG