The online racing simulator
Sensible first and last names ???
Why do I get this adminmessage:

sensible first and last names. Your entry (Demon Ryder) has been removed.

What is not sensible about it?
It was sensible enough for months so why do I get this message now?
Why is my 11th place in the ss-ranking removed?
What is going on here?
#2 - SamH
Your first and last names were pointed out to an admin yesterday/today as being too obviously faked.

Just enter either your real first/last names or names which are not comical, like "Micky Mouse", "Wilma Carstart", "Demon Ryder" etc.

If you're unwilling to use real sounding names, just leave them blank. Only racers with real-sounding names are included in the points ranks, however.
I don't have a problem with giving a real name, but as my LFS username is demon68 so I thought it makes sense to use Demon.
I really can't see why that is a problem for some people.
And I'm willing to change it but nobody ever asked me.
Just simply removing me from CTRA is a little harsh don't you agree?
After all you didn't have a problem with it for months.
Quote from Demon68 :I don't have a problem with giving a real name, but as my LFS username is demon68 so I thought it makes sense to use Demon.
I really can't see why that is a problem for some people.
And I'm willing to change it but nobody ever asked me.
Just simply removing me from CTRA is a little harsh don't you agree?
After all you didn't have a problem with it for months.

Woah!! The message was only intended as a kind reminder, you will be put back onto the rankings once you put in your name again =)

Sorry for the confusion.
#5 - SamH
Very few people have ever entered comical names. Almost everybody out of the several thousand people who have entered first and last names into the system have entered either their real names, or indistinguishably realistic names. Until the last couple of days, it's never ever been an issue.

I don't agree that it's too harsh to remove your first and last names at all. It's our database and it's our system. In the message where we ask you to re-enter sensible names, we DO say "Please". As soon as you enter sensible names, you will instantly reappear in the CTRA results.

It isn't that we didn't have a problem with your fictional names for months, it's that we were not AWARE of them until we received a complaint about them last night/today. Since the vast majority of people DO enter sensible names, we spend our time doing other things besides studying first and last names. When we receive a complaint, we act on it. That's all it is.
Quote from SamH :Your first and last names were pointed out to an admin yesterday/today as being too obviously faked.

Just enter either your real first/last names or names which are not comical, like "Micky Mouse", "Wilma Carstart", "Demon Ryder" etc.

If you're unwilling to use real sounding names, just leave them blank. Only racers with real-sounding names are included in the points ranks, however.

What happens if your name really is 'Wilma Carstart' though?
Quote from JO53PHS :What happens if your name really is 'Wilma Carstart' though?

Then you will have to find a way to prove it =)
#8 - VoiD
Quote from JO53PHS :What happens if your name really is 'Wilma Carstart' though?

you would been banned cause your are bisexual
#9 - SamH
hehe!
Quote from SamH :hehe!

You are discriminating against people with weird names
#11 - VoiD
just take it more serious. Those comic-like names doesnt sound very professional... just give it a "real" touch
#12 - Dru
FYI Wilma Carstart is from Sam's brain, but here is where he got the idea for it

Classic Geoff Crammond 'Rev's' names

Max Throttle
Gary Clipper
Desmond Dash
Johnny Turbo
Percy Veer
Davey Rocket
Gloria Slap
Wilma Cargo
Sid Spoiler
Harry Fume
Hugh Jengine
Dan Dipstick
Willy Swerve
Billy Bumper
Roland Slide
Rick Shaw
Miles Behind
Slim Chance
Peter Out
Tony Bend
Don't forget the default F1GP names too.

(Actually, most race game/sim names around that time are now viewed as humorous)

I don't have a complete list here, but I remember Geoff took...liberties with the names

DK
-
(SpikeyMarcoD) DELETED by SpikeyMarcoD
Quote from SamH :
It isn't that we didn't have a problem with your fictional names for months, it's that we were not AWARE of them until we received a complaint about them last night/today. Since the vast majority of people DO enter sensible names, we spend our time doing other things besides studying first and last names. When we receive a complaint, we act on it. That's all it is.

You must have been aware of my name as it is on the main page of the CTRA-X page for months

The message I got from the ctra admin was that my entry was removed from ctra-system, not that I would keep my points if I change my name (maybe now you understand why I wrote harsh)
Ofcourse you don't have to say please.
I know it is your system and I really am very thankfull for what you guys are doing.
It makes LFS more fun (and the rest pointless)

PS All those different names (username, ctra name and name in the game) can however cause some confusion (even with you Sam: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=690321#post690321 )
Quote from Dru :Classic Geoff Crammond 'Rev's' names

The name I can't ever get out of my head for as long as I live is one from ye aulde "4D": Bernie Rubber.
I remind you all of the mythical...
Skid Vicious!

Major kudos to who know from where that is!
4D again? The one with the short temper?
#18 - SamH
Quote from Demon68 :You must have been aware of my name as it is on the main page of the CTRA-X page for months

The message I got from the ctra admin was that my entry was removed from ctra-system, not that I would keep my points if I change my name (maybe now you understand why I wrote harsh)
Ofcourse you don't have to say please.
I know it is your system and I really am very thankfull for what you guys are doing.
It makes LFS more fun (and the rest pointless)

PS All those different names (username, ctra name and name in the game) can however cause some confusion (even with you)

Honestly, just about the only times I ever look at the front page, I'm looking at the source code and it's all line numbers and VBScript code

The admin message you got was
Quote :Please use sensible first and last names. Your entry (Demon Ryder) has been removed.

I think I could re-word that to say "Your previous first/last names (Demon...", just to prevent the potential for confusion. I see now how that could read. Fear not, your entry into the CTRA system hasn't been removed in its entirety.. just the first/last names that you entered. Everything else is still intact!

There's an option in the CTRA system, $prefs. In there, you can switch between seeing real names and licence usernames.. if it's all confusing, try switching that option
#19 - VoiD
Quote from SamH :...There's an option in the CTRA system, $prefs. In there, you can switch between seeing real names and licence usernames...

I prefer licence-names. Makes searching (and finding) on CTRA much easier.
LoL, u have got to be kidding right?

So if i show up with my 3 years old name, PowerSlave, your just gonna "ask" me kindly to change it?

Bye bye then, was nice
Quote from PwrSlave :LoL, u have got to be kidding right?

So if i show up with my 3 years old name, PowerSlave, your just gonna "ask" me kindly to change it?

Bye bye then, was nice

Everyone of the 20,000 CTRA licence holders manage to use a 'real' name, why should it be any different for you?

No ones asking you to change your LFS username are they?

I think you misunderstand what's being said here.

Bye bye then, was nice

Well you could use an alias - something like "Sam Hopkinson" for example.
#23 - Dru

Bye bye then, was nice

This is not inserver names m8 - its the name that you have to register with CTRA to be displayed on the raceauthority website.

In game you can race with any name you like (obviously within reason )
Well, as far as i know, all of my teammates use their nicknames in CTRA servers. And i know a bunch of ppl that used their nicknames instead of real names. CTRA is a nice system, dont get me wrong, its close to if not the best system in lfs, but imo its just kinda pushing it a bit hard to force ppl to use their names in order to drive there. As for me, ill just stop going there.

EDIT: @Dru: thx for clarifying stuff, i wasnt avare of that. Pls ignore my post then, as it showed to be irrelevant.
Quote from PwrSlave :Well, as far as i know, all of my teammates use their nicknames in CTRA servers. And i know a bunch of ppl that used their nicknames instead of real names. CTRA is a nice system, dont get me wrong, its close to if not the best system in lfs, but imo its just kinda pushing it a bit hard to force ppl to use their names in order to drive there. As for me, ill just stop going there.

You only need your name on the CTRA website - in forename and surname box. You can still race with your nickname in the servers.

EDIT: Just seen edit above
This thread is closed

Sensible first and last names ???
(91 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG