The online racing simulator
About CTRA Rules
(20 posts, started )
About CTRA Rules
I spoke with you about this yesterday Sam, but I think I`ll need to describe it better, and open a discussion about it

I do understand the part, about saying sorry and wait, if you crashed a person. It`s a nice thing to do, and do not misunderstand me, but I got a question about it.

I saw it yesterday, when someone had an racing accident. The "guilty" said sorry, waited some and then drove. Then later he got the respons "nice, say sorry then drive" , and then it was a little bitch-mood some time before it calmed down. My question is here, if you crash someone and waits for them, but they just stands there and typing offending / agressive messages, should you just stand there wait for him? Even if he has no intension to complete the race? My point here is, sure, if both started running again it would be a nice thing to let him pass you, but sometimes when people get taken out they seems not interested in complete the race, and rather wants to blame the "Guilty" one. Is it any use in just standing there and recive offending words against you, or can you drive?

It was a lot of talk about this between the two involved, and actually, I`ll agree with the "guilty". What use is it to just stand there waiting for him, it can not undo the accident. If you say sorry, and tries to get the point out that you really didn`t mean it, is it then any use in waiting? What justice is it in that? Most cases are accidents, and both can blame themselfe, but just standing there waiting for the other to drive helps no one.

So, whats your point about this? Sure, saying sorry and just drive feels harsh, but what can you really do? Most cases are misstakes, and neighter one of the invovled wanted the result to be that. I don`t think it`s any more "nice" or sportman like to just stop there, and wait for the one in the gravvel to deside running.

Still, I mean that people should let the man, if they hit someone off the track, to let him pass, but sometimes there is no use for that, if the one invovled has no wish in completing the race.
If it was really your fault and the "victim" spectates, you should spectate, too.

However, if he starts insulting you, you should just ignore it and go on with your race. IMO.
Quote from zeugnimod :If it was really your fault and the "victim" spectates, you should spectate, too.

However, if he starts insulting you, you should just ignore it and go on with your race. IMO.

Hehe, I do understand your oppinion - however, what use is it in spectating? If we tries to keep the races as fair, and close to real life as possible, wouldn`t the normal thing be to finish the race? The discussion about it could come after race. If it`s really bad we rather should use the report feature, and get the "guilty" off the track that way

But again, thats IMO, and that was IYO
I agree with Zuggy, but only up to a point: if the victim spectates because they're completely incapable of continuing, stuck in a gravel trap or rolled over or whatever, then the person responsible for that should spectate too. Eye for an eye.

However, if the victim spectates immediately because they can't be bothered trying any more, I don't think the guilty party should be made to do so too. It could've been a really minor mistake which led to someone getting annoyed and whacking Shift-S without thinking about it, and personally I don't think someone else's race should be finished off because of that.

I'd also be a bit annoyed if I felt obliged to get a non-finish on my stats just because someone who cut across me can't be arsed to turn out of a spin, if you see what I mean.

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :I agree with Zuggy, but only up to a point: if the victim spectates because they're completely incapable of continuing, stuck in a gravel trap or rolled over or whatever, then the person responsible for that should spectate too. Eye for an eye.

However, if the victim spectates immediately because they can't be bothered trying any more, I don't think the guilty party should be made to do so too. It could've been a really minor mistake which led to someone getting annoyed and whacking Shift-S without thinking about it, and personally I don't think someone else's race should be finished off because of that.

I'd also be a bit annoyed if I felt obliged to get a non-finish on my stats just because someone who cut across me can't be arsed to turn out of a spin, if you see what I mean.

Sam

This all sounds nice and everything. My question is how does one know that the other one has been rolled over/stucked to the sand or just decided to spectate cause he couldn't be bothered. I mean usually in insident's like this the "guilty" party is ahead of the "victim". IMO usually these are unfortunate racing incidents and it's just tought luck that the other got stuck in sand or on hes roof. So atleast the other should continue racing.
#6 - SamH
Yeah, we talked briefly about this last night in Race 3. I've been pondering it a little since.

IMO if someone, who is off the track because you ran them off, begins to send messages rather than get back onto the track and keep racing, their priorities are not racing. You should get back on the track and race if your car is in a good enough condition. There's time after the race to discuss the events that led to the excursion.

I don't think you should automatically spectate because they do, if they do. Doing so may be regarded as a mark of respect, and by way of an apology, but it isn't specified in the rules. You should wait for them, but if there's nothing to wait for, you have the *option* to continue racing. Bear in mind that your behaviour after the accident is also going to be considered if the person you've run off the track decides to file a report. After the race, if you continued to race when the "victim" spectated, make sure you set out your stall and explain why. Get your apology out there (and into the replay!).

Today, because of this discussion, I've created a new keybind. It says "Go go go" and it's for if I get stuck in a gravel trap and someone else is waiting for me. I don't believe there are many people out there who are actually reckless. If I get ousted from a race, the times when it's someone being an idiot are so few and far between that I can't even remember the last time. Most of the time it's just a goof.. and god knows, we are all capable of those.
i think if the wrecked party uses shift+s to end the race, the "guilty"-party doesn't need to do it the same compared to real-life the discussion about strange accidents will come AFTER the race and if the guilty one tries to wait for the other, but he prefer to end race (or need to do so, because of spining to roof or so), noone is helped by canceling the race.
personally i tried to manage that way: if i was responsible for a crash i give the position back, but not immidiatly by standing on track or besides and waiting for the other, but i go on very slowly so the other drivers can overtake me without any risk, so the one can overtake me in the same lap. or is it needed to immidiatly stop on unrisky track part and wait for him ?
Quote from SamH :Yeah, we talked briefly about this last night in Race 3. I've been pondering it a little since.

IMO if someone, who is off the track because you ran them off, begins to send messages rather than get back onto the track and keep racing, their priorities are not racing. You should get back on the track and race if your car is in a good enough condition. There's time after the race to discuss the events that led to the excursion.

I don't think you should automatically spectate because they do, if they do. Doing so may be regarded as a mark of respect, and by way of an apology, but it isn't specified in the rules. You should wait for them, but if there's nothing to wait for, you have the *option* to continue racing. Bear in mind that your behaviour after the accident is also going to be considered if the person you've run off the track decides to file a report. After the race, if you continued to race when the "victim" spectated, make sure you set out your stall and explain why. Get your apology out there (and into the replay!).

Today, because of this discussion, I've created a new keybind. It says "Go go go" and it's for if I get stuck in a gravel trap and someone else is waiting for me. I don't believe there are many people out there who are actually reckless. If I get ousted from a race, the times when it's someone being an idiot are so few and far between that I can't even remember the last time. Most of the time it's just a goof.. and god knows, we are all capable of those.

There is no 'one solution' for these types of problems. Each incident has different circumstances and each is many interactions and conditions which makes making 'blanket' rules difficult to put down on paper.

In general I think it's a good idea to think and act with this in mind

"Treat People As You Wish To Be Treated"

If you intentionally hit someone off you don't HAVE to stop and personally I don't unless I had made a really huge mistake that someone at my ability shouldn't make. But it's a nice thing to do and people will enjoy your company more online if they know that if they are wronged in any way you will have done and will do anything in your power to make it right.
Why the hell would I spectate if the other person does? Eye for an eye eh? Isn't that a bit medieval?
I'm racing to finish my races and try to do as well as possible.
If I happen to cause an accident, I will wait for the person I've crashed, but I won't wait forever if they're not showing any effort of continuing the race. I won't stop to wait since that'll quite possibly cause more harm than good. I will keep driving and as soon as the person closes in I'll let them pass in a safe and predictable spot, much like I'll do with blue flags. This way it might take a lap or two for the person to eventually go past, but they will.
Thanks for the answers, it cleared up the confusion
Viper explains it good

So, if there is a racing accident and the one that crashes tells (I guess you didn`t read the rules eh? Just said sorry and drive, I`ll report that), if that report comes, how would you take stand here?
Lets say it`s a little mistake from one of them, but overal it was not meant to, accidently, would you kick/ban him then, or just maybe give him a notice about what you mentioned Viper?

Darn, my english seems to be worse than ever on sundays, sorry for that!
I don't spectate automaticly if the person I put off does. It was an accident and I'm sure the shoe will be on the other foot one day. I wouldn't expect anyone to spectate just be cause we tangled and went off. Its racing it happens all the time. Simply say sorry and let the person pass you back, or vice versa. If it was reportable make a report.

Simple!
Quote from The Very End :Thanks for the answers, it cleared up the confusion
Viper explains it good

So, if there is a racing accident and the one that crashes tells (I guess you didn`t read the rules eh? Just said sorry and drive, I`ll report that), if that report comes, how would you take stand here?
Lets say it`s a little mistake from one of them, but overal it was not meant to, accidently, would you kick/ban him then, or just maybe give him a notice about what you mentioned Viper?

Darn, my english seems to be worse than ever on sundays, sorry for that!

Depends on the situation and the events leading up to the person sitting in the sand trap. If there was no foul play and it could be caulked up to a driver error then it's only going to be a polite warning to any offending drivers that they need to be more careful in the future... and that we ARE watching making sure everyone is being good little boys and girls and don't throw their toys out of the pram =)

The reporting procedure is there for these incidents so people can see that hitting someone, even accidentally, is not acceptable and they need to be more cautious.

But, because of the nature of racing you are going to get accidents like these and we understand that, hence only a warning and nothing more severe =)

Above all every incident is unique and none are alike so what I am saying is only a rough guide and each incident has to be looked at individually.
#13 - SamH
We handled a report the other day that started out as a warning and finished up being dismissed. There wasn't any error in the way the report was processed, we just wanted to alert a driver to some concerns we had about trends developing in his driving style. Once we'd talked to him, we were happy to dismiss the warning. We're not trying to punish everyone who screws up
Why do you then give me like 24 million cautions?!

:hide:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Why do you then give me like 24 million cautions?!

yeah, you really should stop this, at least on the higher licenced
servers. it often happens, that both drivers say "sorry", because
they both think it "could" be their fault. and thats how it is.
an expierenced driver knows, thats its quite never a 100% fault
of one person. at least not on the higher servers.

someday it happend to me, that both drivers waited
for the other to overtake. this is quite funny

i´m pretty sure i had this at least two times with moose
Quote from LordBlaster :i´m pretty sure i had this at least two times with moose

"After you sir"
"No, after you sir"
"Really, i insist, after you"

Etc, etc.
#17 - SamH
I think it happened to me last night.. either that or I hit the poor bugger so hard he was unconscious for a bit...

#18 - Dru
Quote from SamH :I think it happened to me last night.. either that or I hit the poor bugger so hard he was unconscious for a bit...

that was me .... and i wasn't slow or unconscious.... i'm just GT2 !
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Why do you then give me like 24 million cautions?!

Rofl, don`y you start, I got 4 bans And god knows how many reports against and notices.

Howere, when that is said, I need to hear them, because sometimes I`m just an **** But, aren`t we all beeing an **** evey now and then?
When I've taken another driver out of the race my race is also over, guilt and embarrassment motivates me to try my best to not do it again.
I dont care if the other driver bitches and uses it an excuse to stop racing..my race is over.

About CTRA Rules
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG