The online racing simulator
#1 - Dru
Suggested Racing Format....
We did a little more testing on FE Club, SO Sprint 2 Rev and also Aston Cadet Rev with the restricted (-45% UFR)

All with the base setup we used for SO Sprint 1 we using we managed to quickly get up to speed and all lap in similar times and also race close and be able to pass and slip stream.. yes even on SO3R !

So, what next. I think we need to have a play with setups, front outside tyres can easily last 10 lap races... maybe we should have a think about the racing format.

The first proposal would be

8 minutes qualifying (yes 8 - its up to you to get a lap in, with close lap times this could spice things up)

Race 1 - 8 laps, Grid order from qualifying

Race 2 - 8 laps, top 8 grid reversed from Race 1 finishing order.

Race 3 - 8 laps, grid order based on finishing result of race 2.

Tracks will be short approx 45 sec- 1 minute laps..

What do we think of that - with posibly a season finale enduro style of 45 minutes racing with mandatory pit??

Comments welcome.. based on above suggestions..
nice one dru, i love this format.

any way dont forget that last night the first 10 out of 12 was driving in a second after a 20 min qualy this is going to be great

reint jan
I'd propose only 2 races with 15-20 laps, first 8 grid rev. I like the little longer races more, less confusion, less pickup character, consistent driving would be promoted more, one would have the chance to recover from a crash and take back a few places before the race is over. Also on a 40s to 1 min track, 8 laps might feel like nothing ;-)

greetz

der butz
with short races you dont have that nr. of disconects any more.
when you have a shit first lap or shit 2nd lap you still can do somethink the next race. so that is why i like short.

(i know i am not the right person to say that)

reintjan
I think that format is good, but I'd like to see the third race last a bit longer
Agree with mike.

Looks like a blast, and i'll be sure to send replays to Sim Racing Tonight
Quote from Dru :...

#8 - Dru
i like it but maybe the races should be 8laps then 10 then 15 so a sprint race an intermediate and feature race
Quote from Dru :come try the Baby UFr Fuji - it's great

I'm sure it's great...it's the claustrophobic tracks i don't like, i need space, although this may sound girlish, i really don't enjoy racing on small tracks.
Quote from der butz :I'd propose only 2 races with 15-20 laps, first 8 grid rev. I like the little longer races more, less confusion, less pickup character, consistent driving would be promoted more, one would have the chance to recover from a crash and take back a few places before the race is over. Also on a 40s to 1 min track, 8 laps might feel like nothing ;-)

greetz

der butz

I agree with this, also maybe you should add weight instead of reversing the first 8?
i like der butz idea as well actually
#13 - Dru
i totally disagree with what Butz says....

Basically what Butz says is if someone has or makes a mistake then over the longer races they can recover.

The whole point about 3 races per night is it is donw to consistancy.

The guy who can drive the best 3 short races in the row will come away with the most points for that round.

We all want close racing but after 10 laps things tend to get spread out - even on short tracks do we really want proceecion or more close racing action?

I'd take 3 short races over 2 longer ones any day..
i get your point so why not have them as 10 laps
#15 - Dru
becuase people are more likely to do 3 x 8 lap races rather than 3 x 10 laps, particulalry if some are 3 x 15 minute plus races...

Anyhow, at the moment we are at the data gathering stage and finding out what people want and/or are interested in, we want maximum signup for this event, so like any decent bunch of organisers, we want to consider the views of the people who will be signing up
fine with me just an idea thats all
personal feelings about the suggestions
Quote from Dru :
8 minutes qualifying (yes 8 - its up to you to get a lap in, with close lap times this could spice things up)

Race 1 - 8 laps, Grid order from qualifying

Race 2 - 8 laps, top 8 grid reversed from Race 1 finishing order.

Race 3 - 8 laps, grid order based on finishing result of race 2.

What do we think of that - with posibly a season finale enduro style of 45 minutes racing with mandatory pit??

Comments welcome.. based on above suggestions..

first of all it is obvious that you like the 8^^
  • I like the idea to have a short qualifing (+1)
  • I like the idea of having 3 races with the same length (+1)
  • I like the idea of having an Enduro Final Race with compulsory pit stop, but I think it could be better to have an longer (1h) enduro final (+0,5)
  • I dislike the idea of having only short tracks! (-1) -> (suggestion) Tracks up to 1min40s (measured after the UF1000 WR)
  • I like the idea of having short races BUT 8 laps can be much or nothing... a time or a distance would be better (e.g. 15 mins per race / 20km) (+0,7)
-> my rating: 3.2/5 (=64%)

additional suggestions:
position ballast (after WTCC Regulations) after the whole event
1st: +20kg
2nd: +15kg
3rd: +10kg
4th: +10kg
5th: +10kg
6th: + 5kg
7th: + 5kg
8th: + 5kg
9th: - 5 kg
10th etc.: - 10 kg
max: + 40 kg
#18 - Dru
we are currently testing longer tracks..

The FE2 and FE2R we are doing 1min 22 laps - they are great fun XD
Quote from TFalke55 :first of all it is obvious that you like the 8^^
  • I like the idea to have a short qualifing (+1)
  • I like the idea of having 3 races with the same length (+1)
  • I like the idea of having an Enduro Final Race with compulsory pit stop, but I think it could be better to have an longer (1h) enduro final (+0,5)
  • I dislike the idea of having only short tracks! (-1) -> (suggestion) Tracks up to 1min40s (measured after the UF1000 WR)
  • I like the idea of having short races BUT 8 laps can be much or nothing... a time or a distance would be better (e.g. 15 mins per race / 20km) (+0,7)
-> my rating: 3.2/5 (=64%)

additional suggestions:
position ballast (after WTCC Regulations) after the whole event
1st: +20kg
2nd: +15kg
3rd: +10kg
4th: +10kg
5th: +10kg
6th: + 5kg
7th: + 5kg
8th: + 5kg
9th: - 5 kg
10th etc.: - 10 kg
max: + 40 kg

I agree with everything.
Just let me add a few thoughts.

The grid reversing shouldn't happen until the last race, those that did it good in race 1 should be revarded with good places in the next race.
Won't those ballast numbers be a little heavy for these cars?
#21 - Dru
During a short test the other night, we did some ballast testing.

We took the restricted UFR (45%) and used ballast up to 30KG around Fern Bay Club/Fern Bay Club Reverse and South City Town.

On the Fernbay tracks the cars were up to 0.5 seconds per lap slower, on the South city track it was closer to 1.5 seconds at max speed.

This sort of ballast is just too much to carry over a series of races which would be a minimum of 8 laps.

Remembering that the test session showed that the top 10 cars were seperated by 1.0 over a minute lap this is just too much of a handicap to carry.

I am therefore looking at purely using a reverse grid (top 8 system) for possible the last race only as suggested above.

Suggested Racing Format....
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG