The online racing simulator
+1 sticky!

Anyway, just wondering if it covers Celtic curse words? :P

DK
Quote from Bob Smith :

Much as some people may dislike the brand Bosch, I for one have never considered it swearing.

Personally, it should be the only swear word on the filter.
I can see that rapidly becoming the most popular exclamation on the servers now...

Sam
I've been kicked for telling someone he's a lucky bastard cause 2 guys in front of him spun and he went from 3th-1st.
I don't think lucky bastard is considered a swearing word now is it ? :P
Without the "lucky", it is. I dont think the system can see the context a word is used in.
Is 'feck' filtered out? If so, I somehow see Sully's kick rates increasing (j/k!)

Seriously though, I agree with whoever said swearing has no place in LFS.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I do recall someone getting kicked for calling someone else a "setup whore" yesterday. lolz...

That was me . I said it on joke to a guy that said he would leave the server if he finished less than 3rd. lol
Just as a quick guide, this is a list of swear words that are banned on MY servers:

and not forgetting:
and:
Skoda

These are just a few...so it's just a warning!!
WATCH OUT!!!
I think server creators/owners/admin reserve the right to set whatever rules that are within the boundaries set by the developers, if any. Ultimately it's the racer's own choice to be on a server and if he disagrees with the rules then he/she/it should find another venue.

By the way, I wonder if "cunnilingus" is in the banlist hehe
As the topic seems to be wrapping up... What the hell is a nob?

Or do I already know.
if Male
then
Check pants.
LOL @ Dustin.

Out of sheer boredom, is 'nub' covered...? If so, I see Niko's server attendance dropping sharply :P

DK
Quote from FC3SCorey :As the topic seems to be wrapping up... What the hell is a nob?

They're sweets/candy:
Quote from thisnameistaken :So you're at a LAN party, and Tony Blair crashes into you at T1? And you're all, like, "OK Tony, I was mad when you invaded Iraq, but crashing me like a noob at T1 is the last straw, I am going to punch you like a REAL man!".

:rolleyes:

haha Exactly
Tony FFS, you can't slow it down in T1 can you?
Quote from BlueFlame :Its wrong for people to teach kids these are bad words JUST because THEY believe they are.
A word is a word, all 'swear/curse' words are slang, thats why i like Dutch in particular, cos insults are more phrase based, rather then just YOU ARE A -----

The problem (since it's doubtful you understand) is not in the words themselves inherantly, it's in the ideas you use the word to communicate (since you want to play semantics). It's the ideas conveyed that are offensive, and meant to be, and they happen to be tied to words because -well- that's the point of language . Being called an anus is just as offensive as being called the more popular alternative, because they're synonymous and yet anus isn't usually regarded as a "swear word".

Generally speaking I'm of the opinion that abundant swearing (as opposed to the occasional outburst in dire circumstances) in real life basically just means that one cannot usually construct string of words together to affluently articulate what one needs to say. There is really no reason for it in LFS, and I wish that the master server had filters on it as well. Whenever I see someone swear online, the Moron light instantly illuminates in my head.

If I'm ever at a real LFS LAN event with BlueFlame, I'll be sure to remember that he feels alright about dishing out & receiving punches in the face
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The problem (since it's doubtful you understand) is not in the words themselves inherantly, it's in the ideas you use the word to communicate (since you want to play semantics). It's the ideas conveyed that are offensive, and meant to be, and they happen to be tied to words because -well- that's the point of language . Being called an anus is just as offensive as being called the more popular alternative, because they're synonymous and yet anus isn't usually regarded as a "swear word".

Generally speaking I'm of the opinion that abundant swearing (as opposed to the occasional outburst in dire circumstances) in real life basically just means that one cannot usually construct string of words together to affluently articulate what one needs to say. There is really no reason for it in LFS, and I wish that the master server had filters on it as well. Whenever I see someone swear online, the Moron light instantly illuminates in my head.

If I'm ever at a real LFS LAN event with BlueFlame, I'll be sure to remember that he feels alright about dishing out & receiving punches in the face

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :one cannot usually construct string of words together to affluently articulate what one needs to say.

Affluently articulate?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Affluently articulate?

Yes, as in the context of the justification that swearing is "more powerful" and communicates "more intense" emotion than other words can... which is a rubbish argument anyway.

Besides, alliteration FTW
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Yes, as in the context of the justification that swearing is "more powerful" and communicates "more intense" emotion than other words can... which is a rubbish argument anyway.

It depends on the audience, situation, register of speech. I'm quite wordy but I don't consider myself to be above the odd filthy word, and although I use them sparingly the main motive behind that is the added emphasis and effect when I do use them - not because I don't like them. All the classics are short and sharp, allowing for strong pronunciation, spat consonants and so on. They remain popular precisely because they are such bloody good words.

Your hackneyed argument that curse words are the domain of the illiterate is overly simple and unsubstantiated. I'll find video of Stephen Fry spontaneously uttering the word "****" entirely on his own accord if you like.
Quote from thisnameistaken :It depends on the audience, situation, register of speech. I'm quite wordy but I don't consider myself to be above the odd filthy word, and although I use them sparingly the main motive behind that is the added emphasis and effect when I do use them - not because I don't like them. All the classics are short and sharp, allowing for strong pronunciation, spat consonants and so on. They remain popular precisely because they are such bloody good words.

Your hackneyed argument that curse words are the domain of the illiterate is overly simple and unsubstantiated. I'll find video of Stephen Fry spontaneously uttering the word "****" entirely on his own accord if you like.

Heh, Kev, no need. You're not the type I'm yabbering about at all. I use the "odd filthy word" myself, and I didn't mean to say that it can't bring color or emphasis to certain specific situations whatsoever. Some folks think it's great that every second word can be a curseword...When they're overused then the whole point of what you're saying is moot because then they are common place.

I realize that some intelligent people swear now & then, and actually it can become a habit for some people.

edit: how many "swear junkies" do you really think appreciate the artistic merit of language to begin with?
But is it the swearing you object to, or the perceived lack of capability or desire to rise above it? I know one guy personally who can make an unbroken chain of expletives as interesting as any other sentence, and that's because he understands the importance of both diction and enunciation, but sometimes - out of sheer bloody-mindedness - decides to use only one of them.
Quote from thisnameistaken :But is it the swearing you object to, or the perceived lack of capability or desire to rise above it? I know one guy personally who can make an unbroken chain of expletives as interesting as any other sentence, and that's because he understands the importance of both diction and enunciation, but sometimes - out of sheer bloody-mindedness - decides to use only one of them.

Hmmm...

You've brought an interesting point up actually. Much of human communication isn't literal and that's where the grey area could be I suppose. Looking at a phrase from an abstract/artistic point of view can yield a lot of different things, but then we're back to square one where swearing becomes subjective even though it isn't.

I think what I am sort of trying to say (before you got me all discombobulated) is that the VAST majority of swearing is unneeded, unnecessary, unjustified and now that you've gone down this path, I'll include unartistic and just plain without merit on all counts. 99.9% of the time that I hear swearing it's by morons who've programmed what grey matter they do manage to employ successfully to respond to the slightest stimulus with profanity. I still think it's inappropriate for children and inappropriate in many circumstances, although there may exist times when it's a reasonable thing to do I suppose... I guess. Hmph.
It's simple really. It's crass to use curse words where they're not welcome, but in any other scenario they're fine. Actually knowing where those limits are is tricky, which is why most people restrain themselves unless they're among familiar company.

Necessity or justification don't really enter into it.
So your saying you think of the words when you read them? You don't just intake it and understand it, without having to think of the individual word or having to Picture it. Well you sir, are a retard. I read at a fast pace and then understand the words 2 or 3 words after i have read it.

I can't do 2 things at once, i only realised it yesterday, things don't offend me, because alot of curse words, regardless of what they are SUPPOSED to mean. Get used for Frustration, Anger, Confusion and many more. So just because someone is Angry or Confused with you, your going to take offense to it? erm.... o.k. Thats a bit EMO don't you think?
Hes angry with me, ill take it personally, hes angry cos we touched doors on LFS and i think its because of the way i look and because of my big nose. Nobody can get offended by something that is true. Thats seriously stupid and why do people seem to assume i don't understand? Just because they don't understand what I say, they assume im talking about something else entirely

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG