The online racing simulator
Two Class Racing in MoE
(37 posts, closed, started )

Poll : Class Racing

Closed since :
One Class Racing.
Two Class Racing with FWD GTR cars as GT2
Two Class Racing with Restricted GTR cars as GT2
It just came to my attention to JUST how SLOW the FWD GTR cars at tracks the big GTRs are really fast at. Was on a server with BLGP and those two types of cars... The FWD GTR was so god damn slow at Blackwood, and the GTRs were coming up on me like flies. A fast GTR could pass me on the exit of one corner, and nearly gone the next corner at BL. Imagine 30 cars, half of which could be FWD GTRs... that would be nasty at Blackwood since you'd always be passing a shitty FWD car every corner, it would be a mess. At least with the restricted GTRs, there is plenty of safe speeds through corners to not have the hassle of needing to get by through corners like on BL1.

Quite frankly, the FWD cars were crap for long races.
Quote from Tweaker :It just came to my attention to JUST how SLOW the FWD GTR cars at tracks the big GTRs are really fast at. Was on a server with BLGP and those two types of cars... The FWD GTR was so god damn slow at Blackwood, and the GTRs were coming up on me like flies. A fast GTR could pass me on the exit of one corner, and nearly gone the next corner at BL. Imagine 30 cars, half of which could be FWD GTRs... that would be nasty at Blackwood since you'd always be passing a shitty FWD car every corner, it would be a mess. At least with the restricted GTRs, there is plenty of safe speeds through corners to not have the hassle of needing to get by through corners like on BL1.

That's exactly my opinion. Another point is, restricted GTRs would drive the same line as the normal GTRs. FWDs are totally different.
-
(Belain) DELETED by Belain
Quote from Tweaker :It just came to my attention to JUST how SLOW the FWD GTR cars at tracks the big GTRs are really fast at. Was on a server with BLGP and those two types of cars... The FWD GTR was so god damn slow at Blackwood, and the GTRs were coming up on me like flies. A fast GTR could pass me on the exit of one corner, and nearly gone the next corner at BL. Imagine 30 cars, half of which could be FWD GTRs... that would be nasty at Blackwood since you'd always be passing a shitty FWD car every corner, it would be a mess. At least with the restricted GTRs, there is plenty of safe speeds through corners to not have the hassle of needing to get by through corners like on BL1.

Quote from falcon5 :That's exactly my opinion. Another point is, restricted GTRs would drive the same line as the normal GTRs. FWDs are totally different.

couldnt say it better
And another point against the FWD GTRs is that their tires get very hot right away. And if you go off the line (say, to let a GT1 car pass), they lose control and have to slow down EVEN MORE to get back on the line. That would be a multitude of problems for the faster cars. Because if you go off the racing line in those FWD cars, there is not much extra added grip as you slow down... because infact, if you are turning very hard and then let off the throttle, most of the time the car induces MORE understeer and it could run wide. The only way those cars can moderately give room for a car to pass is for it to slow down to a much slower cornering speed, whilst keeping the throttle on slightly in order for it to "pull" itself through the corner. Still, the car will be going uber slow, and that spells disaster. Two tight and very fast tracks next season are BL1 and SO4. Passing a FWD car at South City would be like driving through an aftermath of an accident, just not safe at all.
So it looks like the FWD class is out of the picture. Then i'll go for restricted GTR's. Multiclass racing should be in a big endurance league like MoE.
My vote is also for multiclass with the restricted GTRs, with the proviso that we should have a test race with that setup well ahead of the start of the season to make sure it's to everyone's liking (or at least that no one vehemently hates it).
Hi

I voted for one car class racing.

Being this an endurance event, the chances are, like shown in previous events, that the majorities of the teams racing, finish the race overlapped, with +x laps to to the winner.
Its not going to make a difference for this fact if half the grid is driving GTR's, restricted GTR's or GT2 class cars.

Some tools for everyone its the best bet i believe.

Cyaz
Lets get in a few more votes in this please.... and leave a comment if you can.

Remember, the idea for the 2-class racing is to have winners/podiums in two categories, rather than it being dominated by just one... Also to try something new for the next season, instead of having an excessive amount of one-class cars for endurance racing. If people simply vote one-class racing because they are afraid of slow traffic, that isn't a valid argument since such encounters are easily avoidable.

The goal is at least to have another class in the mix, just like a real series. One-class racing is way too common in shorter races (which most of you are used to), and very uncommon in long endurance races.
I'd definitely vote for 2 classes, but I'm not sure anymore which option is better.

Restricted GTRs have more sense, being rwd, being like Super GT etc, but they don't really have appeal, do they. Who would want to race them? They are not used anywhere else, they are not really new class, just slowed down big cars. But they are a new challenge for sure, and that's not a bad thing. It's a new aspect of LFS, to have cars "made" for the league.

Problem in distinguishing between classes isn't really big problem. In Super GT there are same type of cars in both classes and I as a casual viewer have no idea which is which until they get close on the same straight and we see speed difference. Whatever solution admins choose would be ok and enough (number ranges, names colours, marks on skins...).

FWD GTRs seem good idea too since there are quite some teams who are good in them (and usually they don't drive big GTRs much), everybody knows them well, two seasons of LFS GT were driven like that and were good (mostly). Competition might be better because of that, and it's nice that they are totally really different cars. But FWDs being FWDs aren't really endurance cars.

Differences in speed are not an issue as admins said, they would only choose the teams with capable drivers and would penalize those who can't handle the traffic.

Perhaps a useful poll would be which teams would really enter restricted GTR class and which would enter FWD class? As I'll be driving GT1 I don't mind either, but those who voted 2 classes would they really drive what they voted for in 2nd class?

In the end, I prefer restricted GTRs, and I'd like to drive that if I was in GT2, but FWD option is more feasable for most. So, I don't know. I'll vote for restricted GTRs just because it has less votes.
I would deffinitely enter restricted GTR, they are a lot of fun.

and i have had several people test with me when i was balancing my own class that just loved the 300 bhp class i put together, and liked the way they worked with the gtr's
Quote from KeiichiRX7 :I would deffinitely enter restricted GTR, they are a lot of fun.

As would I. It's been my plan for CoRe all along. This is partially because I don't feel we yet have the depth (though several of our members are quite fast) to compete with the big dawgs in MoE and partially because I really enjoy the challenge of both racing with others in class and being lapped by the faster cars. This is why I chose the XFR for the 24hr race--it put me right in the middle of the action all race long.
I was tempted to enter an FXR with GT300 spec restriction on it
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG