The online racing simulator

Poll : Soundtrack to streaming.

LFS sounds and commentary.
Music, LFS sounds and commentary
Just LFS sounds.
Music and commentary.
something else.
I had a quick look at VLC, but couldn't see how to encode to NSV, the problem being, I think our server will only stream NSV, not sure.

edit...

Tried the screen command, but, couldn't find any capture FPS controller, it was just so S.L.O.W.

Also, I couldn't see where you enter the password for the server you're streaming too either, one of you will have to add me on MSN and we can discuss it together.
#77 - nilo
Yes I've also found that screen capturing is deadly slow.

As I have noted above, the shoutcast-streaming of vlc is undocumented. In the vlc forums I've read that you have to use the command line to use this feature.

I don't know exactly if you could use another container format than nsv for your shoutcast server.

The solution I proposed earlier simply doesn't work with your current infrastructure. What you would need is a (virtual) server with a high traffic volume included. On this server you run vlc as a relay, connecting to the stream on the broadcasting pc, and let many users connect to it.

I grant you that this proposal wasn't something to be implemented immediately. If you plan to improve OLFSTV in the future, it could be something to take into account.
Quote from russraine :
Tried the screen command, but, couldn't find any capture FPS controller, it was just so S.L.O.W.

Quote from nilo :Yes I've also found that screen capturing is deadly slow.

I found that too, now
But don't depair, I found a little gem, it goes by the lean name "VH Screen Capture Driver". It is really quite impressive and performant..
Clicky: VH Screen Capture Driver
#79 - Davo
Can't get the stream to work here. Says OLFSL but no picture.
Hi all.

Analysis of OLFSLtv.

Had some unexpected problems with Pool 9 stream, awful framerate and no audio, abandoned stream after a few laps.

Got it running again for Pools 5 and 1 with visual only.
Interestingly, only 3 frames were dropped during the whole broadcast, not having to capture audio seemed to help the cpu out with the video encoding quite a bit.

Regarding audio, I'm really not sure what was wrong, basically the program NSVcap, just crashed everytime audio capture was enabled, even after a pc restart, I did not have time to investigate further with two pools to host.

-------------------------
Ok some news regarding the streaming from next event.
I am going to be switching the pc's over, so my more powerful computer is doing the encoding/streaming rather than the smaller pc, the cpu should have a lot more grunt to provide decent capture results. And hopefully, with totally different sound card, that problem wont arise again.
-------------------------

Tysscargh - thanks for the link to the driver. It is similar to one I had called Magic Camera, only this is better. However, streaming a full screen race from the same pc still has the same result, terrible framerate as the cpu is doing all the hardwork capturing encoding and LFS has bugger all left for itself. If somone has a space AMD dual core CPU, I'll give it a try.

However, the driver itself, may provide better capture results than the tv card, as the card can only get 800x600 wheras, by capturing the screen, it should be possible to capture my gorgeous 1440x900 ratio, with AA and AF turned on, which would increase stream quality a bit (although it will still be processed and encoded)m however, if higer quality goes in, higher quality comes out. I'll have to expereiment.
New camera system - feedback
Hi

Im trying now, looks good, but i think the sound volume is too high.

when we are earing more then one engine it's getting some distortion.
This new camera system is nice, but I think there is too many cameras. The view changes many times in short period of time, but sometimes doesn't actually change that much and you see the car go by 10 times. A bit irritating really, longer cuts and it perfect

And as the position is wrong because the camera thing, it would be better just to hide it....we need commentating here to fill up the cons
AFAIK it's all automated, so if 2 cars are close then we watch them, or if someone goes off it switches to them etc etc, quite handy but ovcourse it will have it's downsides.
What I mean, is that camera changes to follow the same car on short distance way too often.
the incorect position display it's very anoying...plus u cant really tell witch car is on witch position...here we need a comentator yes
Well, not much to add, it's all been said already. Sound clipping was over the hill, but I actually really liked it, sounded very "life-like"..
Is anybody interested in the replays? If so I'll post then and eventually cut them too
Regards, Tys
hey tys, yeah i want them.

Good race

//FEL
Feedback from me...

Very pleased with the streaming today, no problems whatsoever (on the technical side).
Having a pc capture 25fps for nearly 6 hours without stopping is pretty tough!

Lots of feedback about the volume being too loud. I turned the volume down quite a fair bit, so, I'm a bit puzzled as to why, this was the case. I can only think:
A) the sound is being normalized on the server.
B) that maybe the clients software (winamp/vlc) is doing it.

I'll try turning the sound right down next time, but it is very odd as to why it would need to be near silent for capture?

I do agree about the too many camera complaint, it was the first time I had set cameras in this new tool before, and did not have an oppurtunity to test it in race conditions, be better next time, I promise.

The one downside to this program, is, as many have noticed, the postion marker and split times not correct. There maybe something I can do about that, I'm not sure, I will investigate.

About the commentary, sorry there was none today, now the hardware and software is working properly, I can look into reinstating the commentary as, I have not quite worked out how to capture from the microphone, without using a cpu intensive program in the background to LFS. Any suggestions, please let me know.

Now I have a fully stable setup, I can actually get around to improving the service, all ideas to boost it were on hold, until the bugs were removed, and thanks to Nassa Osoi (and Nassa Ant for pointing me his way) they are.

For interested parties, the mp3 encoder was crashing, the reason, when input and resampling audio rates were not exactly the same.

(thanks to Soeren Scharf for letting me use his new director tool as well)
Pool 6
I liked it. Picture was reasonable. On;y comment (apart from the cameras) was that we don't know what positions people are in. The resolution for me is such that I cant read the text in the bottom right. Hope the commentry works for next time so we can get a feel for the race as a whole
I liked that camera system, but... I´d like to watch it with shift+f sometimes of the OLFSLTV Live
Thanks for listing the stream recordings. Video and sound quality a fair bit lower than the stream though.

Sorry about NSV.... as soon as something better is available, we'll try it.
Quote from russraine :Thanks for listing the stream recordings. Video and sound quality a fair bit lower than the stream though.

Sorry about NSV.... as soon as something better is available, we'll try it.

Sounds promising
One more idea about the camera script, it would be quite nice to have some onboard laps thrown in here and there.
Update
Tomorrow's schedule has been updated, head to the site to see it!

Update......

There are now links to live visual stats for each race being streamed. Make sure to open them in a new window and view alongside the stream for enhanced viewing. You must remember to open the stats for EACH race that you want to watch.

Coming soon......

The Second PC here is going to replaced soon by a more powerful machine, hopefully this will provide better streaming quality (not by loads, but a bit).

Looking into more ways to enhance the quality, delivery and extras for the stream too for the coming months ahead. Some good things are planned!

Remember.....

At the moment we are renting server to distribute the OLFSLTV stream, the cost of this has been met by kind donations. Please consider donation if you really enjoy the stream.

We are looking into methods which could cut out server rental, but at the moment, we cannot.
ohhhhh nice news

What kind of internet connection do you use for OLFSLTv?
Well a 8 mbit download and 300k upload.
Quote from russraine :Well a 8 mbit download and 300k upload.

so sweet!!!!!!, and what program do you use to upload the streaming?
Important

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG