The online racing simulator
To be completely honest, I strongly beleive that rules' flexibilty in a very popular league (such as OLFSL) does more "bad" than "good" in the legaue's reputation and its smooth operation.

The reason being that flexibility establishes a certain status-quo every time it is applied, thus increasing dramatically the chance of more members wanting to be treated with flexibility in similar situations in the future. It also makes more members feel pissed-off because they weren't treated with the same flexibility in similar situations in the past. The whole thing can easily go out of control, even resulting in total chaos, with complains, appeals and long arguments fly all over the place.

Russ, I fully understand you did what you felt was right for the racer who got disconnected, thinking of the situation as your fault, but I beleive overall fairness to all members is a more important issue. And it's better for the prestige of the league as a whole,if rules' flexibility is kept on the absolute minimum level.

In legaues such as OLFS we don't deal with people of a certain profile, but with people from all over the globe, with many educational, social, cultural (etc, etc) differneces. What looks logical and harmless to some may look ilogical and unfair to others. That's why the writen rules should be followed as closed as possible.

Of course all the above is just my humble opinion
#27 - S0ul
Oh noes. We had this discussion before and a certain somebody flamed the hell outta me the last time....well, that certain somebody isnt around anymore,still it is already decided, we shouldnt argue about that,the last time was stupis enough
Quote from S0ul :Oh noes. We had this discussion before and a certain somebody flamed the hell outta me the last time....well, that certain somebody isnt around anymore,still it is already decided, we shouldnt argue about that,the last time was stupis enough

Since I started visiting regularly this forum only recently, could you please point me to the old conversation?
Although I thinkt he rules should be followed correctly, allowing LP to rejoin was ok aslong (I thought it was a rule TBH but my memory is like a seive) everyone else gets the same treatment, so if 3 people disco on lap one they can all rejoin.

BTW Jonathan, I very much doubt that you hard drive caused him to lag out, i'm sure he will tell you himself that his connection isn't reliable in the slightest and has a tendency to lag him out of important races. (Like the MoE and OLFS)

I think that now it's happend once it should be aloud to continue, but then the rule of admins changing the server password once the race is underwat will have to be altered.
#30 - S0ul
Quote from migf1 :Since I started visiting regularly this forum only recently, could you please point me to the old conversation?

unfortunately i cant, since that certain somebody ereased it, after that person created a poll,which is ereased too
Quote from Bawbag :Although I thinkt he rules should be followed correctly, allowing LP to rejoin was ok aslong (I thought it was a rule TBH but my memory is like a seive) everyone else gets the same treatment, so if 3 people disco on lap one they can all rejoin.

BTW Jonathan, I very much doubt that you hard drive caused him to lag out, i'm sure he will tell you himself that his connection isn't reliable in the slightest and has a tendency to lag him out of important races. (Like the MoE and OLFS)

I think that now it's happend once it should be aloud to continue, but then the rule of admins changing the server password once the race is underwat will have to be altered.

If you allow what was an exception to continue, it won´t be a exception anymore but becames the rule. And I personally don't think that´s a good rule to have in OLFSL. Fortunately, everything went well this time, but maybe next time the driver who rejoins the race does it in front of the first drivers, causes a crash and ruins their race. Then, who are we going to blame? The driver, the host or the rules for allowing it?
Most of us probably know what's getting disconected during a race... It´s a lousy feeling specially for the time spent practising for it, but it's something we need to live with when we´re in a league...
Well this is a bit of a pickle isn't it? Not heard back from Solar yet, but I know he is busy this week, so that's ok, we have time to decide about this.

@Mooney. I don't think it was specfically my HD that caused it, just an indication of something on my system, at that time. But if you say he is having other lagouts, this could just be an awful coicidence, or, pherhaps his lagout caused something with the replay saving, which got my HD going at that exact point (but I guess everyone else would have the same, although, if they were racing, may not have noticed it is my guess).

I must ask for you not too speculate and think about rule changes, the question here is if I was right in my snap judgement, whether as a host who believed his computer caused a lagout was right to let someone who he thought suffered do to his system, rejoin. There is nothing wrong with OLFSL rules, and no change is necessary, any real suggestions can be put on the suggestions board.

Please do not think, that although the decision was quick, that it was easy, I knew exactly that I would be under scrutiny post race, and that it might cause a fuss, but I had to make a choice at that moment, right or wrong.

I also know that, allowing a driver back onto track was dangerous, again in my judgemnet I was confident that a pool one driver is sensible enough to be careful when rejoining the race, and again, any recordings of the stream will show me watching his progress out of the pits.

It is now up to Solar to decide, as I entrust his decision to either let the result stand, or for Pirriste to be excluded from results.
Personally I don't see why the driver should be punished. He didn't do anything wrong. Actually I don't think anyone should be penaltized at all. However I do think this is a good opportunity to clear up the rules' flexibility issue from now on.

PS. SOul, thanks for answering.
Hello Johnathan Russ, 1ST » H. Piiriste, and all,

I have issued the decision in this case, which amounts to overruling the Host and 1ST » H. Piiriste being given DNF points (lagout on Lap 1).

Sincerely,

Solar Hydro
Could you please fix the download links of the SO5R and BL2R race decisions, too?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG