The online racing simulator
#1 - Dru
Racing observation UFR v XFR
Hi Guys,

Firstly to the organizers of this league, i hope it is ok for me to post this concern here (for the good of the league)

Over the last week i've been getting to grips with the UFR around AS3R and have got to what i think is a respectable time in the car.

Lots of this 'testing time' has been conducted in 60 minute qualifying sessions where only a few cars have been circulating - and to the most part they have been UFR's only.

Over the past two days i have been 'racing' on AS3R on several different server to see how the UFR stands up to the XFR in race trim...

well ok, the UFR is slower overall but it does have advantages in certain places and disadvantages elsewhere..... and here i get to my point.

The UFR needs to brake earlier for key corners like the first chicane and the downhill hairpin at the end of the main back straight.
Both these areas in races i keep getting hit off by XFR's going into my rear as they can brake 'much later' than i and they forget i have to brake earlier.

I am worried that particulalry in division 2 where i am racing that there will be many accidents between the XFRs and the 4 UFR's in the field.

Please can all racers be aware that there ARE differences in braking points etc etc and that saying 'you broke too early' is not a good enough apology.

BTW i did have SERVERAL clean races with the more experienced league racers, mixing it up with MIKI, Pickard, thisnameistaken etc etc without issue whereby we were passing each other several times in a lap and running side by side.

I really am looking forward to this league but am just worried that maybe some of the newer div 2 XFR drivers may not be aware of the performance difference and i really don't want to be ending both races in the gravel trap becuase of someone else running me of the road.

All the best Racers

Dru aka. ZWR|J.Parker.
Hasn't been a problem in the past, I would hope that people entering the league understand that league racing requires a better approach to racing than pick-up and play races do.
#3 - kalle
Like Dan said, it hasn't been a problem in the past. But it's good to remind so people won't forget it Actually I think that people in div2 are more relaxed and drive more carefully. They are not there to win but just to have fun so they take it bit more easier. Hopefully atleast
Just FTR: Maybe I have a rubbish set (:nod but my braking points have moved further away since I switched from UFR to XFR.

Last night we had some people on the server who hadn't raced that combo before, but I don't think those kinds of accidents are likely with a properly-practiced field of cars. I'll probably embarrass myself, but everybody else should be fine.
#5 - Davo
I was under the impression the UFRs could brake later since they're nice and small compared to the bigger XFRs. Anyway it's a pretty level playing field and everyone takes care, a few bumps and scrapes are sure to happen though.
#6 - Dru
@ nameistaken... last nights racing was excellent - i was not on about those bits - thats racing..

i did have an incident earlier in the evening with a div 1 racer in a xfr (i have pm'd him btw) (also not anyone mentioned earlier in the thread btw)

@Davo..

it maybe the set i use/develped but for big heavy stops the xfr has much more stability therefore in this instance at the first chicane and the downhill hairpin where you brake over the hump the xfr with it's longer wheelbase which is far more stable which allows later heavier braking.

my examples are

first chicane, in my ufr i have to begin braking at the shadow of the bridge, yet the quick xfrs do not brake until the right rumble strip literally as youturn in

at the downhill hairpin, i have to begin braking at the start of the green on the right so that i'm not at max revs over the hump changing otherwise i sideswipe and exchange ends too easily. xfr's can brake a little later and are not at max revs when over the hump (also btw the UFR jumps the hump a little) and the shorter wheel base means it is far more UNstable.

The main purpose of this post is to get it in peoples minds, as long as they know there are differences.. basically in the past week i've done approx 300 online laps in prepfor this race/league and i don't want to have that all undone by someone who fails to realise that i'm gonna be braking earlier than they do cuase i'm in a different car

Best Regards,

Dru.
#7 - Jakg
The only thing im worried about is SamH letting the UKCT side down - he's done 50 laps, and by lap 12 i'd beaten his PB and i'm rubbish!
#8 - Dru
Quote from Jakg :The only thing im worried about is SamH letting the UKCT side down - he's done 50 laps, and by lap 12 i'd beaten his PB and i'm rubbish!

lol - i'm sure that won't be the case
Quote from Dru :first chicane, in my ufr i have to begin braking at the shadow of the bridge, yet the quick xfrs do not brake until the right rumble strip literally as youturn in

Really? My XFR brakes closer to where your UFR does by the sounds of it. I don't use full braking force for that corner anyway because there's too much turning going on.

Quote from Dru : at the downhill hairpin, i have to begin braking at the start of the green on the right so that i'm not at max revs over the hump changing otherwise i sideswipe and exchange ends too easily. xfr's can brake a little later and are not at max revs when over the hump

Again, I brake at the same point you do in the XFR, but I used to brake later in the UFR using your setup! Without seeing a replay this sounds more like a problem with being in the wrong gear to me to be honest - maybe if you downshift into 2nd later you might avoid some problems? I also don't use full braking force over the bumpy bit to avoid flat-spotting my fronts.

I did notice the UFR likes to squirm around a bit towards the end of that braking zone but IIRC going lighter on the pedal over the bumps helped a lot.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Just FTR: Maybe I have a rubbish set (:nod but my braking points have moved further away since I switched from UFR to XFR.

Wait, did i read that last part correctly???
Quote from Primoz :Wait, did i read that last part correctly???

I am just about to take to the track in the UFR again - I still haven't decided!

The circuit selection seems like it favours the XFR quite a lot, but I'm still tempted to drive the UFR anyway...
#12 - Dru
UFR for the win

David vs Goliath
Well I gave the UFR a long run tonight, tried lots of setup changes, and I've decided not to drive it. Kudos to those of you who are going to run the UFR though, and I wish you the best of luck.
#14 - Dru
i must say racing on the N1 server has filled me with confidence..... only had 1 incident and that was when Kalle ran me onto the grass whilst fighting his team mate and not checkin his mirrors lol
Was a nice little session tonight guys... Looking forward to the race
#16 - Dru
yeah +1 that ballte we had in our UFR's was awesome, my first replay i'm PROUD of
WHAT Is the trick to the UFR
when i try that vs. XFR i am usually about even on lap times, but the ride in the UFR is so much more eventful, squirmy is a good word, and the XFR is so stable, is it the wheelbase? because it doesn't seem to turn or accelrate through turns any better, and it certainly pushes harder
but i can drive them both about as fast the UFR is wacky fun TBH
Perhaps it needs more fron bias or a softer rear bar?
The shorter wheelbase certainly makes it less stable. That and the fact that it's much lighter than the XFR and the weight distribution is slightly more biased towards the front. The lighter weight means quick getaways too. I think those are the main ingredients that make it such a little hooligan.
I officially suck at Aston National Reverse, its an AWFULL track.

(so expect to see me finish last )
Well, I'll let you pass and finish last ;-)

No, really, the UFR is fun to drive, reminds me of my old Minis (ok, they were more like the uf1 in behaviour) and is definately slower, than the xfr on this track. I'm racing for the fun and due to rl stuff I couldn't test as much as drumeister (maybe 150laps), I'm in the middle 1:57s now...
I'm pretty excited about tonight, my girlfriend will be sitting next to me (reading a book I presume) and I'll try to start stable into this season... No flipping, no hard knocks no matter what my finishing position will be in the end.
Wish you all the best of luck tonight, and sorry if I should nudge you during race!

greetz

der butz
#21 - Dru
hey Butz, I'm up to 380 odd laps, was running with the div 1 guys last night, but stuck between two radically different setups...

one is our stable (slower one) but done my pb of 1.56.90 with it, however the other one is an oversteery much quicker, but still finding the new lines with it (potential pb much quicker as my split with it is 1.01.15) but the decision is what to race...maybe the stable one and get solid points on the board....hmmm not sure tbh.

Anyway all, to all Div 2 racers tonight . . . . . best of luck and good racing
Best of luck gents. btw will the server be open for practice today? i really need to get some practice in.

Racing observation UFR v XFR
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG