The online racing simulator

Poll : Soundtrack to streaming.

LFS sounds and commentary.
Music, LFS sounds and commentary
Just LFS sounds.
Music and commentary.
something else.
Right.... comments from my end.

This was the first time the full stream setup was in action, so, bugs were bound to arrise.

What went well:

Stream stayed up during the whole race!
From my view video quality was ok.
Sound and music seemed ok overall.

What went wrong.

At my end, Winamp froze several times during stream, if this happened to you, please note, this was not the stream, but winamp. Not sure why this happened.

I changed the codec last minute from VP6.2 to VP6.1 and VLC stopped working, which is puzzling.

But hey, I've learned some stuff, will do some more streaming during the week to iron out all bugs before Sunday.
Good to hear it went well! Missed it, duh. Did anybody record the stream?
gn8, Tys
If someone wants the job of ripping streams, then feel free. We could probably put the tv files on the main site for download too, so that people who couldn't watch live could still see them. (I'm sure I can sweet talk FienDi).
Quote from russraine :If someone wants the job of ripping streams, then feel free. We could probably put the tv files on the main site for download too, so that people who couldn't watch live could still see them. (I'm sure I can sweet talk FienDi).

That would be perfect
Quote from russraine :If someone wants the job of ripping streams, then feel free. We could probably put the tv files on the main site for download too, so that people who couldn't watch live could still see them. (I'm sure I can sweet talk FienDi).

Finally I feel free. I'll try to save the next some streams next race. Any schedule yet? ;.>
Hi, TysCaargh. No schedule yet, as the pools aren't done yet. I'll do a schedule on the Saturday before the race itself.

My only thoughts are, that the stream is only of any difference to the replay in the case of music and commentary, because as we know, replays are made available after race too. I guess I should do the commentry to make it worth while, i don't know. Gonna get some good music together anyways.
Quote from russraine :Hi, TysCaargh. No schedule yet, as the pools aren't done yet. I'll do a schedule on the Saturday before the race itself.

My only thoughts are, that the stream is only of any difference to the replay in the case of music and commentary, because as we know, replays are made available after race too. I guess I should do the commentry to make it worth while, i don't know. Gonna get some good music together anyways.

I'll record all the streams and later discard the uncommented. I just tested with various software under Linux only to learn that vp62 is actually supported by vlc and mplayer, but not recognised;p
Anyways, stream quality seems ok, I could almost read the contents of your Outlook some minutes ago;p

/edit/
Ahem. I did not realise the server was shut down during my testing. mplayer works
Could you please either speak louder or turn down the music volume? We really can't hear you...

Edit: why is there music anyway - looking at the poll result?
Are you using winamp or vlc? I'm using vlc and the voice is by far the loudest and very well audible for me.
Tried both, and everyone in our IRC channel has the same problem.. :S
anyone
record the streams in the end?
Err, don't you record them?

Oh well, anyone record pool 1 replay, wouldn't mind having a look.

Thx
Don't think I can record the streams here, not whilst creating them, would take too much cpu power and bandwidth, needs a lot the streaming does.

---

Overall quite happy with the technical side, the buffering of the stream was quite low so not too much psychedelia for you all to endure. Sorry about the mic level and commentating, first time added a mic to the stream, could'nt get it to work right so had to use a workaround. Also zero experience of commentating didn't help either.

Quality seemed fine to me, might be able to get it better, but was being conservative with the nsv settings, didn't want it to crash at any point.
Thank you very much for commentating, was a joy to see pool 1 go off
I recorded the streams and am now in the process of cutting it.. Which turns out to be quite tedious. As for the .nsv files are not recognised by virtualdub, so i have to recode them first in vlc, etc..
Grml&/§$&**. Enough for tonight, here's the raw nsv files for anyone to grab..
http://rollade.ath.cx:888/pool1.nsv
http://rollade.ath.cx:888/pool4.nsv
Very nice stream! Keep up the good work Russ
Thanks!
Quote from TysCaargh :Enough for tonight, here's the raw nsv files for anyone to grab..

Thanks for ripping the streams... everyone can have their own copy of my fantastic commentary to enjoy at any time. You could even burn it to DVD to give to loved ones as presents at Christmas and other festivites.

I'll link these on the OLFSL site.
Quote from traxxion :Edit: why is there music anyway - looking at the poll result?

Oh yah about the music. Well, the reason was as I mentioned on the stream was that having my own play list with decent music (not that shite Fireballs played lol) was the main reason I agreed to do OLFSLtv. I didn't think it would actually lose the vote, it did, but I overruled the majority verdict. If you don't like it, please feel free to start the 'Bring Back Fireball' campaign I mentioned
I only watched very little of the stream yesterday, but it all works fine. LFS-Sound was ok, also the music I guess. But - without wanting to hurt the commentator - commentary was a bit off.

Maybe not from the content (I didn't view/hear long enough), but more the style. A little more enthusiasm would be great. (Well, but I can understand that after 3 races one isn't that much enthusiastic about commenting. And I clearly couldn't have done it better.)

But apart from that minor issue, russraine, great job!
Quote from russraine :Oh yah about the music. Well, the reason was as I mentioned on the stream was that having my own play list with decent music (not that shite Fireballs played lol) was the main reason I agreed to do OLFSLtv. I didn't think it would actually lose the vote, it did, but I overruled the majority verdict. If you don't like it, please feel free to start the 'Bring Back Fireball' campaign I mentioned

Haha, don't get me wrong.. I'm very happy with OLFSLTv, really enjoyed looking at my teammates in the pool 1 race yesterday!

And of course, if you don't feel like doing OLFSLTv without music, I won't ever tell you to switch it off

What I'm trying to say is that - apart from the fact that your playlist doesn't contain my favorite music style - I just rather hear car sounds and commentary, like it's done on real-life TV. Last night, because your voice was hardly audible and the music didn't please me either, I ended up muting the stream volume.

I'd say: if you can fix the microphone level that'll be a big step in the right direction.

Anyway, thanks for the service, and keep up the good work!

(PS overall video quality was very good, and the stream ran with no buffering whatsoever)
Quote from russraine :.

Thanks for ripping the streams... everyone can have their own copy of my fantastic commentary to enjoy at any time. You could even burn it to DVD to give to loved ones as presents at Christmas and other festivites.

I'll link these on the OLFSL site.

Yea, I'm planning on a DVD with extra content like interviews of some close friends and relatives and then selling it on QVC
Now for some constructive content: Does anybody know a tool that is able to split .nsv files? Right now my way of cutting them looks like this:
Recode the files with VLC as mpeg2/mp3/, then cut them, then recode that with xvid or divx only to realise in the end that the sound is delayed.. delayed about half a lap. Sigh.
Btw, I liked your more relaxed commentating alot. Maybe the audio needs a wee bit more kps, there were some high pitched artifacts.
Quote from TysCaargh :Yea, I'm planning on a DVD with extra content like interviews of some close friends and relatives and then selling it on QVC

Damn, I went on to the roof of my house to f*ck the arial up so I couldn't get QVC
Found this on stream ripping. http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

Yah I think the microphone level was ok, just me not speaking into it that loudly and clearly, I'm a bit of a mumbler already so put me in a tense situation etc, just makes it worse lol.
Quote from duke_toaster :Damn, I went on to the roof of my house to f*ck the arial up so I couldn't get QVC

I feel you, I only am able to watch this when my brain is mostly paralysed, e.g. coming from a party or other intoxicating events
But I bet you there would be at least a hundred buyers!
Attached images
QVC.jpg
Quote from TysCaargh :I feel you, I only am able to watch this when my brain is mostly paralysed, e.g. coming from a party or other intoxicating events

There are more of the bloody things.

On Freeview (a digital terrestrial system we have in the UK, IIRC some countries use the same technology but under a different name), we have Ideal World, pricedropTV and more of them.

Once my arial got ****ed up and I lost some of them - but I also lost channel 5 so I couldn't get Monday Night Football, NASCAR or so-on :cry:
Quote from TysCaargh :I feel you, I only am able to watch this when my brain is mostly paralysed, e.g. coming from a party or other intoxicating events

Love the picture mate, thanks. Although I think 50 euros is a bit expensive, people will end up getting it from Limewire or Bittorrent at those prices.

OLFSLTV - Johnathan Russ style!
(98 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG