The online racing simulator
Show your LFS online-status icon (on other forums ;) )
Hi,

I have made a status icon script for you to use if you like. For example, you can use it in forum signatures (where allowed) or convince other forum admins to include a new profile field for this, so they can show your LFS online status

The following url will return a 64*16 gif image, depending on your status :

http://www.lfsworld.net/isonline.LFSUSERNAMEHERE

example : http://www.lfsworld.net/isonline.victor ->
(if required, you can add the .gif extension to the url)

Here is a full example for forum-signature integration that additionally includes a link to the racer stats page on LFS World :

[U]For vB and IPB (and other forums):[/U]
[COLOR=Blue]*!15702861!*[COLOR=Red]USERNAME[/COLOR]*!1965551!*[/COLOR]

[U]For phpBB and other forums (no quotes for URL):[/U]
[COLOR=Blue]*!10663479!*[COLOR=Red]USERNAME[/COLOR]*!3876994!*[/COLOR]

If you use 'strange' characters in your username and have trouble getting this status icon to work, maybe you have to urlencode your username. The following webpage can help you with converting your username to an urlencoded version : http://www.lfsworld.net/urlencode.html

There are 4 status's :

in pits
spectating

Let me know if you encounter any problems and enjoy for the rest.

edit - thanks to glyphon for the idea btw

** since this post was placed, things have changed a bit. It started out with suggestions for a better icon, which has been made now **
#2 - troy
eheh nice little feature thank you
already a suggestion is it possible to make also the extension visible? (.gif or whatever)
if i want to put it in my sig for example there will be boards who refuse pictures without extension
#3 - mr_x
simple, but it works. It'll be a good thing to put on team websites showing online status' of members in a simple way! :P
Thanks, cool little feature Although maybe someone could create some LFS related icons to make it more obvious to other people on other forums what it's all about
Quote from troy :eheh nice little feature thank you
already a suggestion is it possible to make also the extension visible? (.gif or whatever)
if i want to put it in my sig for example there will be boards who refuse pictures without extension

sure - just stick .gif after it
Quote from keiran :Thanks, cool little feature Although maybe someone could create some LFS related icons to make it more obvious to other people on other forums what it's all about

Yeah, something like this :lfs:. It could be black and white when the person is offline and colored when online. No idea about the pits and spectating icons though.
Quote from keiran :Thanks, cool little feature Although maybe someone could create some LFS related icons to make it more obvious to other people on other forums what it's all about

that's what I'm silently hoping for
Quote from geeman1 :Yeah, something like this :lfs:. It could be black and white when the person is offline and colored when online. No idea about the pits and spectating icons though.

actually i was thinking more about keeping the icons 16*16 pixels, because that allows for more easy integration into forums. See for example the messenger icons in user's profile fields here. The lfs one could easily be added. And they mean the same (online / offline / away (spectating), etc just like regular messenger icons)
I see the advantage in that. Maybe the favicon of this site then?
One question.

Does that icon thingy work only for people with S2 licence or it works for demo too?

Quite a good thing, will try it on my forum
Yeah, somebody design some cooler icons plz.
Quote from geeman1 :I see the advantage in that. Maybe the favicon of this site then?

yes, that shape 'LFS' and then maybe an additional indication of the actual status like a wrench for pits, an eye for spectating, a wheel for in-game and something else for offline .. maybe a grey version of the 'LFS' shape

... animated or not, i don't mind
Quote from BlackEye :One question.

Does that icon thingy work only for people with S2 licence or it works for demo too?

Quite a good thing, will try it on my forum

just for racers with an S1 or S2 license. Demo isn't supported since i grab the stats from .. well, the stats, which there aren't any for demo racers

(ps i clicked the wrong button in your post - edit, and not quote - hence the edit by me in your post ...)
I kinda realised that once I posted, lol.

Well, just another reason for demo people in my team to buy S2
Decided to have a quick bash Might give other people some ideas.
Attached images
online.gif
pit.gif
offline.gif
Quote from keiran :

I tried to do them myself too. Not very good though, 16x16 is quite a challenging size. Here's my icons.
Attached images
wrench_rev1.png
wrench_rev2_16.png
Quote from keiran :

I don't think that the icon should be animated because you have to wait for the animated icon to 'blink' if you want to see the status.
true, and animated can also get annoying after longer periods.

About the LFS icon I think the colours and detail in that small area make it hard to put something on top properly. It quickly becomes a garble of coloured pixels and so the trick is to keep it simple, giving the best contrast. See my skype icon for example - it's just one shape and one color (and a bit of shading) plus on top the indication of the status. It has to remain really simple for some reaon hmm.

Just giving my opinion I know it's hard
Here is some idea I had. Not sure what to do for "spectating" but I could put some binoculars or some face without a helmet I suppose

This at least gives the racing appeal since it is a helmet. 16 x 16 awfully small to put in a logo or any text, so you have to have some kind of symbolism. This at least uses colors to note the difference
Attached images
LFS_status_offline.gif
LFS_status_online.gif
LFS_status_pits.gif
LFS_status_spec.gif
Lol, ok now, Tweaker (got some Invalid Attachment)

Btw, is there any chance the script could be modified, using the identkey instead of the username?
In this case, we'll have to update the forum template, but all users will have to update their profile too.
It's because I had reuploaded them, look again.

Here is some binoculars for spectating if this seems better....

Also note that these are made for a WHITE background. On some dark forums, some white specs might show up, but I don't think they'd look bad. So I will make the 'universal' ones now without the white specs and see how they turn out.
Attached images
LFS_status_spec2.gif
Seems good for me, but I think it could be better to use a tv icon for spectating. Better than a color code IMHO (not enough difference between racing & spectating)
Edit : sry didn't see your last attachment before posting
Another idea : why don't u just return a code from 1 to 4, or a string, like this admin forum could create their own icons?
sry if it's stupid, don't have a big experience on forum templates
I was thinking it would be a nice idea so that people can make their own icons, but having such a feature from LFSW would be nice... and keeping it to the same look so people familiarize themselves with it, that would be better perhaps.

I could work on the icons I made so that they are pixelated (not white matte) and can be used on forums that have different color schemes. Though I want to know if the icons are ok first.
hm, I'd vote for one look, just like all the other icons out there. One needs uniformity for easy recognition - not all kinds of different icons. It's already hard enough to come up with one good set.

And if people would like a bigger set, then that can be arranged from here imo. I don't mind making a second version that returns bigger icons or whatever

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG