The online racing simulator
Demo server driving level?
(17 posts, started )
This isn't a complaint, just an observation as I know this isn't the place to bring up issues with particular servers but my understanding is that from free licence holders there are a number of 'Demo' servers available for, in this case, FBM.

Being Demo servers, it presumably is to be expected that there will be varying quality of driver skills on there, so why do some quicker (S2?) drivers get really offensive towards more rookie users? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most servers have a delta lap time which if you can't lap in that time you get booted, so say on Blackwood the spread is 1:13-1:16, I've had experience of some drivers voting to kick or ban drivers who seem to be driving ok, but just aren't up to speed yet. If thats the case can they not just go to a more experienced server?

I'm not making accusations, I am a rookie and genuinely don't know. I have been racing Blackwood FBM for 6 months on and off and using a keyboard/mouse am currently having some issues so only lapping in the low 1:15's (my best yesterday was a 1:15 dead). At the starts I have sometimes been blamed and attempted to be kicked for hitting someone who had already spun right in front of me or if say someone has clipped me going into a corner, I overcorrect on the mouse and spin off yet I get blamed and one even got kicked for 'bad driving'. Is this some people just being idiots?

A few drivers have told me that any contact deducts points off that drivers overall score or something but some have also said that until you are doing below 1:15's you shouldnt race online but just practice on your PC. I understand people not wanting their races affected but 1. If they are on Demo servers do they not expect some people to be learning and hence slower? and 2. I always find I go quicker in a race than practice. Call it red mist if you will but yesterday in a race because I got a good start and was trying to hang onto the leaders I shaved 7 tenths off my best lap, I wouldn't get that going round on my own.

So, because I appear to naive, can someone clarify that for me?

Thanks.
Ego, Wannabe Pro - Drivers and other funky things causes this. And of course, I have said in past days Demo is surely more manly area than S1-S2, because all of this.

But then again... But the thing where everything starts, are the trolls. Trolls drive wrong way, crashing each other and being overall slowly by not driving the car in fast ( or even attempting ), An evolution have bringed this option in past years.

Don't care about them. Overall, it is just a racing simulation Smile

You don't need to be superfast to buy a worth S2 license. You can be rookie as well as anyone else here have been, including you, moderators, other drivers, even developers have been rookie of this, regardless of the type of LFS.

You do good, once now you have mastered that combo, try the next 1023 ones Smile. Then when you have to master all the layouts done by S2-racers :P And then you need to master your own!
I think on demo servers it is a rule/expected to spectate asap when you crash. (shift+s)

The driver score thing is specifique to some server and they can have their own rating systems. (it is not global like stats on lfsworld)

Some kick-voters might not even have seen what happend.
One guy starts vote, maybe writes "crasher" in chat and then others blindly press vote-yes button.
Or maybe someone really deseverd kick but you did not see what he did.
Demo is very mixed..totally new drivers, good drivers, people who are very fast on their trained ideal line but crash when they have to move. Explosive mixture.
Not worth to lose sleep over.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :
You do good, once now you have mastered that combo, try the next 1023 ones Smile. Then when you have to master all the layouts done by S2-racers :P And then you need to master your own!

Thank you, what are the 1023 ones?

Quote from Gutholz :I think on demo servers it is a rule/expected to spectate asap when you crash. (shift+s)

The driver score thing is specifique to some server and they can have their own rating systems. (it is not global like stats on lfsworld)

Some kick-voters might not even have seen what happend.
One guy starts vote, maybe writes "crasher" in chat and then others blindly press vote-yes button.
Or maybe someone really deseverd kick but you did not see what he did.
Demo is very mixed..totally new drivers, good drivers, people who are very fast on their trained ideal line but crash when they have to move. Explosive mixture.
Not worth to lose sleep over.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wont bother being concerned!
the 1023 means every possible official Car/Track combo, for example for BL1 you have 20 different cars to drive, that makes 20, + Reverse, that makes 40, and with BL2, you have 10 different cars to drive, that makes total 50 + reverse (BL2R) = 60 combos

All possible official combos are 1024 + non-official + open config official tracks + custom tracks + custom layouts + you Big grin
I've met many drivers with S2 licenses who have never bothered to read this. Their attitude will always be that it was your fault, not theirs, and "you need to learn to be more aware of what is going on".

That's an actual quote from a guy on an S2 server who deliberately put me into the fence for boxing him in while he was trying to draft past someone else. Not so funny at the time, but a perfect example of the mentality you will encounter in this game, no matter what server you connect to.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :the 1023 means every possible official Car/Track combo, for example for BL1 you have 20 different cars to drive, that makes 20, + Reverse, that makes 40, and with BL2, you have 10 different cars to drive, that makes total 50 + reverse (BL2R) = 60 combos

All possible official combos are 1024 + non-official + open config official tracks + custom tracks + custom layouts + you Big grin

Ahh, makes sense Smile

Quote from Shirtkicker :I've met many drivers with S2 licenses who have never bothered to read this. Their attitude will always be that it was your fault, not theirs, and "you need to learn to be more aware of what is going on".

That's an actual quote from a guy on an S2 server who deliberately put me into the fence for boxing him in while he was trying to draft past someone else. Not so funny at the time, but a perfect example of the mentality you will encounter in this game, no matter what server you connect to.

Thanks for that, good to know it;s not just me. I try to be aware of others but I'm racing, i'm not going to just leap out of everyones way. I think some of the issue is I'm a bit old school in that I prefer having a damn hard scrap for 3rd place then just winning because everyone else is much slower. But I think a lot of people (and this is in real racing too) just care about their 'stat's', no matter how they get them.

I've had a number of people just turn in on me, it's like they don't use their look left/right option then blame me when I'm the one on the inside! The other day, I was going down the back straight at Blackwood and one guy came up my inside, then later on the the straight another up the outside, and both just came across on me like I wasn't there, when i realised both were coming over I backed off (not that it was my place to do so) but not in time and something like this happened:

Of course I got blamed being the 'rookie'! I hink especially in FBM with limited peripheral vision, people just assume if they can't see you on their screen you aren't there.

Thanks for the posts though, it's been insightful reading.
The problem with FBM demo servers is that there are many masters of straights and daredevils who think they can win a race after 1st turn and who claim the whole track surface is their property and you are the intruder on it. That's why 50% of races are restarted after few seconds and you can see a flame war on chat.
I would not say it is always bad intentions, it is hard to tell if someone cuts you off on purpose or because he is learning.

Also no matter how fair a drivers tries to be, in the last five laps everyone becomes less likely to give room. The twist is that on demo servers you are always on the last five laps. Looking
In future this might interesst you: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/League_Racing_Guide
All things considered demos servers often work suprisingly well, but one must expect that there is a limit how clean racing can be if people of very different skills and backgrounds are put into virtual cars.
Thanks for that. I;ve been concerned in the past that it means I'll get a bad reputation or banned or something. But it sounds like it's the norm on demo servers.
I suggest you to quit FBM race for a while,
then go with XFG or XRG, fast racers on those cars are less/none exploiting the physics flaw/bug, this condition lead to another good/better race condition in general.

note:
...don't trust me !.
Nah, FBM is the only reasonable demo car Big grin XFG/XRG@BL1 is boring as hell. Proper FBM race with experienced drivers making wheel to wheel battles on each corner, when 7 or 10 drivers pass finish line in 1 second gap is something you'll never see on races with these grandpa's cars Smile
Ooh, don´t say that. My best door to door races I had at BL1 and BL RallyX in the XFG cars. But this may also be because FBM did not exist back then :-)
Quote from R@fiXII :Nah, FBM is the only reasonable demo car Big grin XFG/XRG@BL1 is boring as hell. Proper FBM race with experienced drivers making wheel to wheel battles on each corner, when 7 or 10 drivers pass finish line in 1 second gap is something you'll never see on races with these grandpa's cars Smile

How many XFG/XRG races have you done? Because that is an insane statement and completely untrue. Tongue
R@fiXII - FBM - BL1 - Laps 10592, talk about a one person combo.
#16 - KD14
I highly recommend you to buy the S2 licsense. In most cases the population have a better quality and for the start i recommend on cargame.nl servers.
They have an automatic safety system but with a much greater tolerance then you told and you can find there a good mix of skill levels.
Quote from rc10racer :R@fiXII - FBM - BL1 - Laps 10592, talk about a one person combo.

Heh, that's beacause (In my opinion ofc) I find FBM the most fun car to drive with reasonable number of active drivers Smile XFG/XRG are slow (you can't feel that true racing atmosphere, but even though I like to take a seat in one of them from time to time), and S2 content? You can look for crowded servers (even cargame recently) with a candle..
-
(Sebastian123414) DELETED by Flame CZE : not allowed

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG