The online racing simulator
I think team servers' admins running public ones could join the idea setting up several servers with cars grouped in categories (car selection disallowed) and track selection on. I will definately look for that (and "ad" posts on events subforum) with my license upgraded.

Admins: NO FULL servers please :bowdown: As it all ends up with BL1s you could just select it
I've added some additional features to the OCC control panel. You can now (sequentially):-
  1. Turn off track selection;
  2. Force a race end;
  3. Set the new track;
  4. Set qualifying;
  5. Set race laps;
  6. Re-enable track selection. (Please DO NOT forget to do this after you've set the track!)
These options are available when you click the green "TRACK" button in the bottom left corner of the control module.

Those who have passwords, PLEASE DO NOT test it out for fun while others are in-game. It's tested and working, trust me

Also, for additional security, I've added time, action & corresponding IP logging to file. I'm sure that it won't be necessary, but if it becomes important, I'll change the control panel password and reissue. If things were to become really bad, I could add individual logins per authorised LFS usernames. That's extra coding, so for now I'll rely on good faith
Excellent, thank you, I've noticed that somebody has set it up for the XRG XFG combo again I'll leave it for the time being because there's 7 players on it, but I think I might have to force the issue if it looks as though it's just becoming an S2 server that runs cars available on any number of demo servers....
Is it on BL1?
It was....now it's running XFG/XRG SO sprint 1 rev...again...with the same players on it as have been there quite a bit.

I can see I'm going to have to force a change soon, this server is in danger of moving away from its stated purpose of trying new things only 3 days after its launch.

I wonder what people think to starting a thread for it somewhere, maybe to explain its concept and vote for combos or something, and having the thread url in the server welcome message?
I'm not the instigator, I'm a facilitator in the OCC, and I definitely don't want to take over ownership of the project. This bit's really important. I'm just one guy with the means to make the OCC a reality, but it's not my baby.

Okay, feeling better about what I'm about to say now, because the premise IS that it's not JUST my decision. Now I can say how I feel, without anyone interpreting what I'm saying as laying down the law. It's my opinion only...

I think there's definitely the potential for over-management and I'm not sure that it's necessary to do so at this stage. The server is being used (always good news), and I don't *think* anyone's out there feeling like there's nowhere for them to race rarer combinations. Hopefully THAT is a change that has been made a reality, and I think that at the moment, the situation is good.

I've added the new functionality today for the (hopefully rare) occasions where there are a bunch of people on the server who are sticking to the same combinations as exist on countless other empty servers, while at the same time a group of people wanting to change to a rare combination have been, until now, unable to make the change.

It's the Odd Combo Club server, and as such its PRIORITY is odd or rare combinations, but I don't think it's necessary to FORCE an odd combination if there aren't a significant number of people present who desire it. I definitely don't want (and I'm sure I stated at some point) an autocratic decision by one, to force 10 others to race a different combo on the basis that they can, or on the basis that the combo they're running isn't uncommon enough. I can't imagine anything worse than emptying a server on that basis.

PLEASE.. now you have control of the server, resist using it as MUCH as possible.

[EDIT] I mean resist using the power, not using the server :-p
There are some very SERIOUS LFS racers about and a lot of them know or have acquired a clever setup to help them. I would like to find any track where I could be sure to find folks who are content to use the default setups, be it South City Classic or Blackwood, it doesn't matter. Even a race on south City Classic becomes a procession if the folks are 3-4 seconds a lap faster and don't mind shoving you out of the way enroute to the finish. Intense it is. Clean racing it aint!!
The trick for me is finding folks you're own standard and that isn't easy.
I've put up my server as "An odd combo server" currently running LX4 at Aston Club reversed. 20 slots at the moment, I can increase if necessary.
Incidentally, to my mind, XFG and XRG on South City definitely fits the "odd combination" descriptor. I don't think it's necessary to state that the combination has to exclude Demo cars or that you can't race the same combo 2 days in a row. The only problem I can see is that there are 21 people on the server at the moment, but the track only allows for 16 starters. Apart from that, it's all looking good. Can the others start from the pits?
Fair point Sam, I guess you mean I should keep my big nose out

No problem, especially since the server now has 19 connections, which is already too many for the track it's running.

I'll admit I'm honestly between a rock and a hard place here, I can see the benefits of having a popular server, and I appreciate that I can't dictate the game to other people, but the flip side of the coin is that I genuinely want to drive a different track and a different car at least once an evening, and yes I can go and find an empty server and do that, but the point of the OCC [or at least so I thought] was to bring people who shared my opinion together so that I didn't have to lap by myself.

The combo running as of right now is the same one that the server ran for 12 hours yesterday, despite attempts by more than just a couple of people to change that, and that's my problem, I'd really like it to be doing something else now, and I know I'm not the only one. Oh well, I guess it's a case of let it be for now, because it's got 19 people [16 of whom are having fun and 3 of whom are forced to watch] connected to it, and I don't have the right to enforce my opinion on that situation.

Oh and to answer your question, no on one of the SO sprint tracks no more than 16 of the connected players can be involved in the race, the remainder get a "race is full" message and have to spectate.
Mike, I wasn't specifically referring to you at all, honestly. I've had the same battles within ukct.net in the past, and I saw the potential for it to surface again. Not exclusively you, I had another PM from "he who shall not.." and mine was a response, really, to that one.

I REALLY don't think you should "keep [your] big nose out" at all. This server is as much yours as anyone's. I know how easy it is to do things just because you have the ability to do it. I saw Jurassic Park

I guess I just don't want to see arbitrary decisions forced on people who are having fun, for whatever reason - right or wrong - and it looks like they really are having fun
My (-> personal <- ) opinion is that the server can run a combination for a few days (3-7) and then switch to a different combo. Switching every 6 or 12 hours isn't necessary as it always takes some time for good setups to come around.

Vain
Quote from Callous Hooper :I've put up my server as "An odd combo server" currently running LX4 at Aston Club reversed. 20 slots at the moment, I can increase if necessary.

Cool as mate, thanks

Oh and Sam, please don't think I was having a girly strop, I was just expressing an opinion,[in a girly strop kinda way ] I give you my word I will never go and enforce change on a server that's got lot's of people connected to it.
Adding my two cents worth very late but I just wanted to say thanks to all those who helped come up with this idea -- what a great plan. LFS offers so much variety and not many people seem keen to exploit that.

I had the first of many cans of whoop-ass opened on me when I joined the odd combo server the other night for some FE Rally X action. I will be back for more punishment soon, I promise.
Come on people! Join the server, and lets have some pfun!
I picked the wrong weekend to leave the house without my wheel!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG