The online racing simulator
GO GO GO IGTC 2011!
yes please
Any news would be nice.
#280 - CSF
With MoE still going this won't be back for a while.
Quote from Hahmo :Any news on 2011 season?

Well a new season may happen, but as CSF says I doubt it will be until after MoE finishes, I don't see us being able to handle both at the same time. In addition, you have GTAL/LFSCART on Saturdays which cuts down on the number of days available.

I suppose it all depends on whether there's enough interest from drivers, teams and admins to continue (whether or not it continues in the exact same format is another matter though.) Traditionally MoE has run until March and IGTC started at the end of February which meant very little overlap and for IGTC to be the summer endurance league with SCs, shorter races and a single class. However with MoE running well past its normal finishing time, it doesn't really allow time for a full blown IGTC like past seasons.

There has also been some other formats/series suggested to be run after MoE, including an endurance league with different car/track combos, shorter (< 2hr) GT1 races, a GT0 only league etc.

I don't want to "kill" IGTC, but basically, it's not in a fit state to be started any time soon. Therefore we will be looking at the options, and it would be good if drivers/teams/admins could provide us with their thoughts as well.
Honestly I would be quite sad if the IGTC is no more, it now has a big amount of history, with 4 annual seasons, including 2(3 if you count 2010) seasons with a top notch grid, composed of some of the very best teams and drivers.

I do belive there's enough interrest to keep it going. It is the top singleclass GT league out there. It does represent a real alternative to the GT2 "amateur"(well, at least it was supposed to be, wasn't it?) GTAL league, and the huge multiclass MoE that requires a lot of time, energy, manpower and motivation. Those 3 are quite different, and cannot really replace themselves, though some might just see "3 GTR leagues".

Of course the field is going to change if it comes back, some teams are probably not gonna return, but just look at the nice newcomers teams we have this season in GTAL, can't we just expect some of these new motivated guys to come in and give some challenge to the well established ones?

I'm not saying nothing should change format wise though. Surely races can be shortened a bit if necessary, in order to keep it as simple as possible to run for the admins.

Some random ideas about next season and the points expressed above(feel free to react about them):
  • Season could begin in May and end in October, just before MoE/GTAL come back. With 1 race a month, it represents 5 rounds. Could be extended to 6 with 1 more put somewhere.
  • Shorten the races to 2 or 3 hours. 2 hours is the minimum IMO, otherwise there would be no more tyre management aspect. This would give less tasks for the admins, and would be easier to manage for teams and drivers. This would give some damn good action for the stream also(if any).
  • If the races are only 2 hours long or so, maybe put the races on week-day evenings, in order to reduce week-end's league racing loads. Also put qualifying on another day to reduce raceday's lenght. Now I guess this can't be considered since I belive the IGTC still has some public in America. And some Euros surely will be against the idea aswell.
  • Hire more admins, possibly drivers, giving an help outside their driving duties.
  • GT0s could replace GT1s. But I'm personally against that, I don't think there's enough interrest. If there was so few teams joining in GT0s in MoE, it must be for a reason, maybe it simply is too hard to drive competitively for most drivers(haven't really tried them on long distance myself), or represent too much work setup-wise. Otherwise I wouldn't be against a sprint-ish GT0s series, maybe on weekdays or on Sundays(after the iTCC then).
  • LFS Endurance League definitely sounds attractive, I've personally been always attracted to non-GTR endurance racing, and it's rather hard to find. However, the current endurance league schedule simply looks too busy. Therefore I cannot see it happening in a near future, unless we have shorter GTAL/MoE/IGTC seasons with less rounds. And I don't think the majority wants any of GTAL/MoE/IGTC dropped, they're all well established, and can't be scrapped in my mind.
Sorry for the long post...
IIRC the GT0 applications were higher than GT1.

LFSEL is probably not going to happen due to the state of LFS, and then to add on the five endurance leagues that happen throughout the year, its just not worth the trouble.

iR is getting a LMP2, add that with the vette and you have your MoE. Start saving your pennies.
#284 - CSF
Man power to run IGTC isn't really a problem. There are plenty of people out there that the admins can ask to help out and they would do it. The problem is whether a 4 hour endurance series should be in place right after a trying season of MoE/GTAL is right, and if the format is changed, would it still be IGTC? Also you have to remember this would be RIGHT in the middle of summer, usually when IGTC starts to lose it's teams/drivers due to other commitments.

I proposed this to Boothy;

GT1's

1h 30 min races

2 drivers, max one driver can do 50 minutes.

Tracks: AS7, SO4r, FE3, KY3, BL1.

Simple stuff, but something that has not yet been done in LFS with the GTR class. Boothy also suggested F1 style qualifying, which would be pretty interesting too.

There are some stuff's being discussed, but at the end of the day it will "probably" return, just not quite in the same format.
Quote from PMD9409 :

iR is getting a LMP2, add that with the vette and you have your MoE. Start saving your pennies.

Gonna be hard to find anyone to race for 6/12/24hrs straight due to no driver swaps.
Quote :if the format is changed, would it still be IGTC?

I'd say yes. WRC didn't stop being called WRC after being richardised. Neither did F1 after switching from 3/3,5 hour races to 2 in late 1950s

Quote :Also you have to remember this would be RIGHT in the middle of summer, usually when IGTC starts to lose it's teams/drivers due to other commitments.

That's an issue of course, but by allowing 2 entries per team if necessary, as James proposed, this would definitely fill up the grid in case of mid-season withdrawals.

Not to mention that it's in theory easier to stay into business with 90/120 minute races instead of 4 hour races, requires less efforts for the drivers.

Quote :GT1's

1h 30 min races

2 drivers, max one driver can do 50 minutes.

Tracks: AS7, SO4r, FE3, KY3, BL1.

Sounds cool, but I'd personally like to have 2 hour races to preserve the tyre management aspect.

If it stays 1h30, maybe allow each driver to do 1 hour, to see very different strategies in the race(especially with SC).

Quote :Simple stuff, but something that has not yet been done in LFS with the GTR class. Boothy also suggested F1 style qualifying, which would be pretty interesting too.

Why not, could be interresting.
#287 - CSF
The reason I suggested 1h30 is to get something a bit different. Who says that a stint needs to be an hour stint, it's something I've never understood in LFS. Proper endurance racing isn't restricted to the stupidity of LFS, so maybe we can change somethings. Maybe FZR should be forced to have r2/r3 with 0kg of weight just to make it more interesting too.
Quote from Bean0 :Gonna be hard to find anyone to race for 6/12/24hrs straight due to no driver swaps.

Shhhhhh don't spoil it.
Mhm, I would be sad about a major concept change in IGTC.
I really enjoyed last season. (May be because it was the first season I took part in one of the "big leagues")

- 4 hours were a pretty good distance I think. Not too long but nor too short.
(90 min racing with driver swap... don´t know; although it could be really interesting with the pit stops...)

- It definitively should stay single class. (best, if GT1)

- Qualy session at another day sounds nice. That´s an idea I already had.
When moe failed it was clear that igtc should step up and take place as best endurance serie.

I would prefer GT0 class to make it fresh but GT1 is good too. Good lenght is 3-24h :P
In a league like IGTC where the talent pool of LFS isnt so spread like it has been in MoE this season, I think it could still be decent if the teams that are still interested in LFS apply to it. I don't think the format is what people are bored of, its the sim so I'm not sure how effective a format change would be. I'm right or? I dont really know, cos I'm pretty new to this in LFS, so I wouldnt be bored

But F1 style qualifying sounds interesting, wat :|
-
(Tomhah) DELETED by boothy : there's an iracing thread for that shite
I really like the last season's format, 4 hour races and one 8 hour race. It just worked, not too short, not too long.. Should be kept that way, and GT0 should be introduced as well and at least tried in Test races or something..
I've always enjoyed IGTCs format with GT1, racelenght, tracks and all that. It's fine as it is imo.
Quote from Hahmo :GT0 should be introduced as well and at least tried in Test races or something..

no
Quote from Hahmo :and GT0 should be introduced as well and at least tried in Test races or something..

GT0 was the worst thing ever.. see how it killed moe?
It had nothing to do with the car, the three classes spread the field too thin 'killing' MoE.
-
(Deutschland2007) DELETED by Deutschland2007
Quote from crazyskypimp :i've always enjoyed igtcs format with gt1, racelenght, tracks and all that. It's fine as it is imo.

+1
-
(nesrulz) DELETED by nesrulz
Just wondering; will the IGTC be held this year, or is it skipping one season?

We, as Genuine Racing, are very interested in participating so I'm just wondering wether or not it will happen . If it doesn't restart it is really too bad since we really want to increase our experience in endurance racing and GTR cars aswell as showing our faces in more leagues.

Hope to hear something soon.

GenR
Quote from BenjiMC :There should be(IGTC this year), Also my 2 cents towards the time thing is that it should stay at 4 hours as it is with the season finale being 8 hours as it is.

Reasoning for the actual final event was that i needed to shorten the season to 7 races. Also my initial track selection was based on getting an event at each location around the "lfs world" hence FE was in the first season of IGTC. The option was remove FE or remove a kyoto/aston race. FE was the logical choice because of the stupid chicanes.

Then i didn't want to effect the points tally so turned it into a double distance double points race. Same commitment as a normal IGTC event in terms of prep. Everyone has an equal opportunity to score points. Ye you might crash, but you have 4 extra hours compared to normal to fix it, along with SC periods. Also it adds a lot more suspense into the season finale. More teams have an opportunity to win it, not the leading team having a bigger opportunity to lose it. I would love to see IGTC carry on like i had set it out from the start, i just dont have the time/love for LFS myself to run it.

Hope that helps :P
#300 - CSF
The last line kind of contradicts the first.

Ask Questions Here
(314 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG