The online racing simulator
#1 - t1ger
Event 7 - Oval FO8 - Pool 2 end explanation
Hi racers,

To those of you in Pool 2 who thought the end was a bit weird, I will try to explain what happened.

OK, just before crossing the line to finish lap 76, Speedcore.Luisii is leading, ahead of 2nd place man MXM betonomeshalka and 3rd place man SRTA Mensafest.

However, when Speedcore.Luisii crosses the line, he is given (by LFS) a 30 second time penalty for speeding in the pit lane and not doing anything about it.

2nd place man MXM betonomeshalka is also punished for speeding in the pit lane and promptly disqualified from the race when he crosses the line.

Why LFS chose to give one person a penalty and disqualify another I don't actually know. I guess the speeds could have been different.

Anyway, this mean that SRTA Mensafest is actually the leader at this point, which means that the racers who were in between 1st and 3rd on the track:

[KA]Thunderdome
(PM)Istabraq
Monkfish
Solar Hydro
sccc GianniC

are not actually a lap down and still have another lap to go. Unfortunately, [KA]Thunderdome does not realise this and slows down to a stop thinking that the race has ended. GianniC rams into the back of Thunderdome and then hits Solar Hydro (who also thinks the race has actually ended).

Thunderdome and Solar jump to the pits thinking the race has finished and end up with DNF. These results will be upheld by OLFSL.

istabraq and GianniC continue around (limping) and secure 9th and 10th places.

The penalties enforced by LFS on Speedcore.Luisii and MXM betonomeshalka will be upheld by OLFSL. Speedcore.Luisii will finish 6th and MXM betonomeshalka will be disqualified.

Thanks
Tim
OLFLS Points/Results Manager
Hi Racers

Only want to tell my point of few.

I was on track and the lapcounter changed color to orange, so that for me the race was finished. After crossing the finishline I thought race is over. Is this a bug in LFS or a normal race process ?

Anyway I will acceppt the desicion, but I think this is a LFS bug. Never seen such a think before

Regards
Thunder
Weird and wonderful...

I also confirm that the lap counter had turned orange showing 75/76 when I crossed the line. Indeed, I assumed that the race was over (but I never crash into other cars as the race ends).

I have not reviewed the replay, but did those that LFS gave a speeding penalty have a message displayed about that before they crossed the line?

Solar Hydro
#4 - t1ger
Thunderdome: this is standard LFS functionality - the lap counter turned orange, but you do not get the finished indicator.

As soon as the leader crosses the line the lap counter goes orange. You only get your end position once you cross the line AFTER the leader. The difference with this particular race was that the leader crossed the line after you did because you were all a lap down.

It is complicated, but it does make sense. Especially as LFS enforced the 30 second penalty on the leader as they crossed the line.

Sol: yes, both racers could see before then end of the race that they had been judged to be speeding in the pits.

Tim
#5 - t1ger
Just to clarify, this was not the result of a bug in LFS.
ok Tim thx for explaining that.
I guess I need to accept my fate - being an innocent victim.

Solar Hydro
Hi,

Well, event 7 Pool 2 was just amateuristic racing. Not pool 2 worthy. Lets be honest about this.

Before the race start everyone was doing laps. The host enteres the server and asks everyone if they are ready. Only 4-5 people reply, the rest just keep doing laps. What for attitude is this ?

The race itself: Prodrive'Dan made an obvious error in turn one, even an AI car doesn't make such a heavy move, but Dan did and took half the field down. Yes, he had to retire, but meanwhile some of our races got ruined.

Limping one entire lap at 140 max speed to the pits, to then see (PM) Istabraq fragrantly ignoring and breaking the pitlane rules (he also suffered damage and pitted in same lap as me, being Lap 2). Because of that I was unable to be in his slipstream after our pitstops and he kept racing 1,5-2 secs ahead of me. Both of us solo racing on the oval instead of drafting... smart .

Solar Hydro then dropped back to draft with Istabraq, but that appearantly didn't work as in no time I was behind them. Drafting done wrong is slower than normal solo racing. Solar Hydro and myself started drafting then, went good to semi-decent, though not perfect either. Now I'm not the perfect drafter, but when you have ~40 laps of drafting together and every damn lap you make the same error (leaving too big gap by steering in too late at the turn), you mostly somewhat correct to that error... no ?

Drafting didn't really aid much, was more a bit of frustrating than being fast. Monkfish and Speedcore were drafting behind us, Speedcore was first and Monkfish was behind Solar Hydro and myself (P13 that is I believe). Solar Hydro went way off his speed to let Speedcore by, but Monkfish as well. Instead of just drafting with 4 people we suddenly got way behind. Too bad I wasn't able to catch Monkfish his draft (310 km/h vs my 290), so I had to wait for Solar Hydro. One place lost and still 37 times with our "drafting". No offense Solar Hydro, though some more training on the drafting would have been good.

Anyway, then we come to the pitlane penalties and the last lap mess. Seriously, all those penalties for speeding in the pitlane ? There is a pit limiter you know. Train some on your pitlane entrance, then you don't get a penalty. Which brings me again to the point of amateuristic racing. Not sure if it is just because this was an Oval Race, I surely hope so, but the racing was in my eyes not on pool 2 level. People were obviously not trained enough and bad prepared, resulting in such a messy race like we have seen.

About the last lap mess, I believe that penalties should be given for what happened. To who exactly I won't comment, that's up to the appeal reviewers, thought this can't go by like nothing. [KA] Thunderdome and Solar Hydro finished their race and it is simply unfair that they are the ones paying for the **** up of "the leader" in front. At least note them down in last and pre-last position so they receive some points.

Regards,
Thanks for all the compliments Gianni

Being the appeals arbiter, and hence being busy busy...! I shall refrain from commenting, other than I loved the 'fragrantly ignoring' comment...

Solar Hydro
Quote from t1ger :Thunderdome: this is standard LFS functionality - the lap counter turned orange, but you do not get the finished indicator.

As soon as the leader crosses the line the lap counter goes orange. You only get your end position once you cross the line AFTER the leader. The difference with this particular race was that the leader crossed the line after you did because you were all a lap down.

It is complicated, but it does make sense. Especially as LFS enforced the 30 second penalty on the leader as they crossed the line.

Sol: yes, both racers could see before then end of the race that they had been judged to be speeding in the pits.

Tim

That sounds like a bug anyways, bc in real it would never happen like this. The penalties would be given way after the end of the race so that kind of situation would never come up.

How I see it: It's a bug of LFS and the race should be finished at the point when number 1 (at this point) crossed the line.
Quote from tomylee :
How I see it: It's a bug of LFS and the race should be finished at the point when number 1 (at this point) crossed the line.

I can see why it is a grey area. I don't class it as a bug, it's just Scawen's interpretation of the rules. This may be wrong, but in LFS there are no post race enquiries and changes to the results, so they have decided to implement the penalty straight away. Once you know and understand, it becomes clear.

Tim

Event 7 - Oval FO8 - Pool 2 end explanation
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG