The online racing simulator
So, that's it?
(134 posts, closed, started )
I had a great time on these servers, with some great races. Just want to say thanks for that!

It's not the winning, but the taking part and everyone behind CTRA put on a great show.

You'll be missed!
Quote from dan12s :the reason i say this is becuase sam put this in the CTRA state thread:I had suggested closing CTRA temporarily, taking a time-out to recharge and to get on top of some of the issues within the X-System that need addressing, rewriting the last of the unstable code, making some optimisations on the MyCTRA website and clearing the backlog of reports. There is also resistence to short-term closing, fearing that the CTRA would lose its appeal and become forgotten - resulting in empty servers when we re-open, and wasting the time and effort spent getting things back on top.
i really hope it does come back

yh i see why you said it dan but if it does come back i dont think it will be for a while. if we sorta teat it as the ctra is totally gone then itf it does come back it will be more of a great suprise than a what we wanted sort of thing, if you get were im coming from
Maybe Becky could start a thread asking for user's interested in running the CTRA system?

I have no coding knowledge etc but i would happily become part of a team to save CTRA

If every member of the group was to stick a tenner in every month and share a % of the report's i could see it working

Then there's all the other option's such as public donation drive's etc.
Quote from james12s :yh i see why you said it dan but if it does come back i dont think it will be for a while. if we sorta teat it as the ctra is totally gone then itf it does come back it will be more of a great suprise than a what we wanted sort of thing, if you get were im coming from

i see where your coming from aswell, but oh well, its sam's decision's and im sure its the right choice
CTRA certainly MUSTN'T die. LFS will survive but S1 drivers are pretty much screwed now. Race 1-2 and UF-BR have no real alternatives as I see unless you're willing to race on demo servers. I have absolutely no interest in Formula cars and don't like the sequential shifter on the GTR class - so please, please at least someone just temporarily make a decent server for those who are tired of BL1 but still would like to drive the XFG and XRG...
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :No disrespect , but im sure LFS can survive and grow with or without CTRA.
I prefer the latter. I actually think a LFS without CTRA is more beneficial on the whole.
Maybe the community can really bond again now after the fragmentation caused by the dominating force that Is/Was CTRA.

That's exactly how I feel. Instead of despairing and preaching the end of LFS () I think the - possibly only temporary - demise of CTRA might in some way be a good thing, as now the hundreds of people who almost exclusively raced on CTRA will have to find another place to race, thus maybe populating the hundreds of empty servers, some of which run very interesting combo's. And without annoying stats, too!
BRING BACK CTRA, i miss it already
Is it over? Yes, and no.

The problem is that the CTRA system as is can't go on. It needs to be changed to reduce the manual workload. This hasn't been done in the past as we've been concerned that it will have a negative effect on the quality of the system and the racing.

There's also the problem of the legacy of the system. I don't want to take any baggage forward. That is something that must be worked out.

I'm going to look into the options and see what we can do. For now the servers will be offline. Even if patching things up were a good option, I'm geographically away and can't do anything right now.

I hope you'll indulge me a little time to work out what can be done.
Rest in Peace CTRA It was the best racing and experience there.
Im really sad and I dont want to play another game.
Quote from Christofire :Is it over? Yes, and no.

The problem is that the CTRA system as is can't go on. It needs to be changed to reduce the manual workload. This hasn't been done in the past as we've been concerned that it will have a negative effect on the quality of the system and the racing.

There's also the problem of the legacy of the system. I don't want to take any baggage forward. That is something that must be worked out.

I'm going to look into the options and see what we can do. For now the servers will be offline. Even if patching things up were a good option, I'm geographically away and can't do anything right now.

Thanks for some normal info.So we get back CTRA? CTRA servers are down for maitentance?
A big thanks to all who made CTRA possible. It was fun.

It sucks that it's not here at the moment, but no hard feelings from my side of the screen. I'm sure it, or something similar or even better, will be back someday. Until then, my dear friends, until then.

(no, I'm not leaving, just going to spend more time with the girlfriend)

:Kick_Can_
Quote from TagForce :

Hah, easy for those who have a girlfriend
#89 - th84
I use it for the opposite, I play a lot of LFS so I can get away from the girlfriend.
Quote from HavocS :Hah, easy for those who have a girlfriend

If you don't, now would be an excellent time to find one

@th84:
Well, then I recommend you to find a new one... On the other hand... LFS is a nice getaway sometimes when I do something to upset her... Honestly, I still wonder wth I did on some occasions to deserve her wrath, but that's women for you, I guess.
Quote from yeager :If ONLY that were true. I was trying to avoid posting in response to your attitude, but being unable to find the "add to ignore" list on this forum it seems I have no option but to read the drivel of a 17 year old boy.

You are offensive, immature and arrogant beyond your age. I would advise you re-read all the comments you've made in this thread alone and compare with your public story of woe... If the light bulb does not come on, then all hope is lost of you "coming of age"

In this thread I've been nothing but blunt, and at worst rude, and inconsiderate. I realised where I hadn't given Sam a chance, and accepted so (that's not mature? I coulda argued it out like the majority of teenagers/users would have but I'm more than man enough to accept where I've been lacking understanding for other people). I'm (or I'd like to consider myself) pretty mature for my age, when it comes to real world shit.

Forget my age, but that's OK. I'm used to people (as are most teenagers) branding them as <whatever> based, mainly, upon thier age.

Call me what you want. I couldn't care. Yes, I've have(had) issues, I am a fairly "keep to myself in RL" person and this forum was the only place I could really talk about anything.. mainly because it's the only major forum I am a regular visitor to.

As I've said before, yes, I'll admit. I was (am?) an arsehole on the forums. I had alot of pent up anger and I had nowhere to let it out other than here. I've since sorted most of the issues out and are a somewhat happier person. Most of my posts on this forum since early January have been much nicer, been bothering to help people and just generally "intergrate" more into the forums, even if you don't notice it. We all have our moments and this thread contained my honest (if callus) opinions.

It's ok though, I don't blame you.

(Sorry to go off-topic guys. Yeager if you have any more to say, I'll happily continue in a place where this belongs - The PM section).
#92 - th84
Quote from TagForce :
@th84:
Well, then I recommend you to find a new one... .

It's too late for that. Im stuck.

I was only being a smartass, I love her no matter how much money she costs me.
Quote from th84 :It's too late for that. Im stuck.

I was only being a smartass, I love her no matter how much money she costs me.

lol... She's standing right behind you now, isn't she?
But yeah, I love mine too, no matter how many times she manages to distract me just as I'm negotiating turn 1 on the first lap.

Get back ontopic
Quote from TagForce :

You found us out! It's really all a big marketing stunt to make CTRA more popular with girlfriends so that you can play more! We turn the servers off, you spend Feb14th with your gf, you then get more playtime!

If only...

It's good that so many of you have given us thanks for the effort. All I can say at this point is that I don't want to see CTRA disappear, but I'll need time to work out where to take it from here. The servers are staying shutdown as I'd rather have them down cleanly than them crash and do something that needs work that I'm not available for. I do have regular employment and I'm not on-call for that. I'm definitely not on-call for this.
#95 - th84
Quote from TagForce :

Get back ontopic

LOL, no she is at home, while I am at work.

Back on topic? It is a rubbish thread anyway.
Quote from th84 :What times do you usually race? Feel free to join us on any of the S3R servers or the LOTA league servers. Some people are usually on every night (Thur. nights are race night, so it will be private). I think you'll find that the guys on those servers are as freindly and helpful as you'll find anywhere else. (myself not included, of course. Im an ass)

i work early mornings, usually get on around 12PM EST (5PM GMT) for a few hours. if i get on late i won't usually race later than 7-8PM EST(12AM-1AM GMT). I liked the endurance days with 15-20 lap races. 20-30 minute races seem to be a good balance for me. it gives me a chance to tweak anything and still get in some good races, especially since i don't have many setups and am still learning some tracks/cars.
Quote from Christofire :Is it over? Yes, and no.

IMO, scaling back is a great option. Make the system something that's more managable. Honestly I never used most of the features of the system. Stats on facebook, country rankings, racer profiles, licenes pictures, etc are nice add-ons, but I liked CTRA because it was a good place to race.
Quote from Danke :IMO, scaling back is a great option. Make the system something that's more managable. Honestly I never used most of the features of the system. Stats on facebook, country rankings, racer profiles, licenes pictures, etc are nice add-ons, but I liked CTRA because it was a good place to race.

I think that just having the stat system and a few features like the team thing would be enough, just to get CTRA back up and running. Most people don't use anything more than that so.
#99 - th84
Anything more than the servers is overkill, IMO. Dont get me wrong, they (team stats etc etc) are all nice features, but none of it is anything that couldnt be lived without. Just leave the servers up with the track rotation and auto-restarts and throw the rest in the poo poo pile. If that is not an option, there are a lot of other servers that stay empty 24/7.

Life will go on, it is not the end of the world.
Oh god, so all the in fighting between developers for the credit (insim in this case, not mods) has spread from rFactor to LFS? time to flee.

I know there are other, probrably bigger causes of CTRA's downfall as well.

Its pretty shocking that such a massive 'empire' of servers can just die like that, its also quite worrying that the exceptional grade of idiots often found on CTRA race 1 will probrably now come to other previously 'safe havens' and crash people there.

I can only hope that someone sets something up to replace this all, I would if I could.

From what I hear, it takes the team behind CTRA a hell of a lot of work to keep the thing running? Well, thanks for your motivation all this time, something I certainly couldn't keep up.
This thread is closed

So, that's it?
(134 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG