The online racing simulator
Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
If you do close it, pass it over. I can think of quite a few money making ways of adding revenues that will work! Have taken quite a few startups too all the way to float and I have to say with what's in place currently, there are are many ways to earn decent revenue that wont impede on the users that frequent it!

If you can't see ther revenue possibilities ask for help from people that can. There are many very talented people that use CTRA!
I just want to say that I've enjoyed CTRA for more than a year. You guys have done tremendous job in promoting both LFS itself and some standards in fair racing.
So sad to hear that you've mostly got exhaustion out of it in the end
Quote from StableX :If you do close it, pass it over. I can think of quite a few money making ways of adding revenues that will work! Have taken quite a few startups too all the way to float and I have to say with what's in place currently, there are are many ways to earn decent revenue that wont impede on the users that frequent it!

If you can't see ther revenue possibilities ask for help from people that can. There are many very talented people that use CTRA!

+1

Sam, I have never seen one attempt at asking for some assistance from those who may actually be able to help you... so really... im not surprised about this.
It really would be a total waste to let the system die though just because your "Knackered".

As a business owner myself I can say that I am completely knackered with what I do... I don't enjoy it very much .. .but I don't give up on it either!!
Plus, I can think of a bunch of ways that CTRA could be monetized as well.... and same deal.. it wouldn't affect any users... so It seems to me that you have only explored about 10% of your available options.... That's not at all close to "All Avenues" as you have stated.

Just my 2c
Thanks for everything.
CTRA and STCC are the reason I found LFS a little over a year ago. I had little sim racing experience prior and this has opened a whole new world for me. I haven't really touched another PC title since. I even sold my Brand New XBOX360 just to keep the dirt off it. Thanks for everything. Truly good times here. This won't stop me from continuing LFS to yet you know. The choice is still up to you guys. Anything that is needed from the community, Please Ask. I've never been involved in anything like UKCT has built here, so I can't judge. If you think your heart isn't in it, shut it down. Better to go with a bang then having it die slow.

Thanks Again and Good Luck.

Jay Odom
I am still waiting for X2 anyway.......where did that go...seemes like a nkpro patch. ALthough that one eventually came
I'm sorry to hear that keeping the CTRA up and running has affected your health in such a way. If you're really suffering from a complete burn-out you really should take time off. How you do that is up to you. However great the CTRA is, it's not worth risking your health for, which is what this comes down to, ultimately. A burn-out is not something to laugh at, I can relate.

Personally I don't even think I would really notice if the CTRA servers went down; I hardly race there anymore. But it would be a great loss for the LFS community, no doubt about that. It would be a shame letting something that's taken so much blood, sweat and tears to build up and that is so successful just die off.

Would it make life a bit easier on the CTRA staff if the beginner servers were closed temporarily, like S14 said? Keep Race2 and 3 open, and SS2 and 3 as well. Surely that would reduce the number of reports that come in, making it easier to stay on top of things? I can hear all the arguments of "what about the copper/bronze licensed drivers then?! you can't just leave them in the cold?!" Well... sure you can! You owe them nothing. Your health comes first. And if it benefits the CTRA system and more importantly its administrators, then that is what should be done. Plus, it may even help populate the Race 2 and SS2 servers again

Whatever decision you make, make sure it's one you've thought long and hard about, and one that will make life easier on you.

Good luck!
Sam, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from, been there numerous times in the past, and am sure to be there again in the future.

CTRA is a very large "concern", and staffing it, voluntarily, is a big call for anyone.

That said, it would be a very sad day for LFS if CTRA were to close, not that LFS wouldn't continue, it would, however, I would sincerly hope that if it were to close, the devs would someone step in and either take up CTRA, or find someway of producing something similar to CTRA, officially, for LFS.

I personally think there are/must be, ways of making CTRA a viable business concern, just look at iR's model, it works, and I am sure it would work for LFS.

I personally don't use CTRA, and haven't for a long time, however, that doesn't stop be seeing what a blow to LFS it would be were it to go.
Sad to see such thing, CTRA was the place where I learned to drive and got a lot training in CTRA and have had great times racing on CTRA.
I understand you Sam and if it's best for you then you should do it.
Don't think that CTRA will be forgotten, I bet that servers will fill up more than ever if you're going to re-open.
Good luck.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Since most of the reports come from the busy servers (race1/ufbr) how about you just close them, since then the silver+ STD racers would use race 2 and above would use race 3/combination of the two..

I totally agree with that. Many newcomers would complain if you do so, and would probably spam this forum with messages full of rage, but for me this could be definitively a good solution. Personnally I've written 7 reports so far, and all comes from entry servers, even if I raced a lot more on higher servers. That shows that CTRA 3 or SS2 could run without being adminned. CTRA could also run with its base of high licensed drivers for months, if you see the current afluence on Race 3.

On the contrary I don't think that paying for CTRA license would be a good solution, as many drivers do race on LFS instead of iRacing because it's cheap. Presonnally I would give maximum 5€/month, and I would probably have some reflexion from my parents if I do that.
And even if we'd have better standards in entry servers, it'd reduce the amount of people racing on the servers. And many of us don't like to drive on empty servers I guess.

But... Anyway, good luck Sam. But don't give it up please. As some other guys said, it wouldn't be an intelligent decision after these months of works on the system.
Quote from AlienT. :
I can't speak for others but I would certainly be happy to pay something towards the upkeep of what is the best server sytem in LFS, if not sim racing in general.

All the best to you anyway what ever happens

Indeed, and thats coming from two tight-ar$ed Scotsmen

Enjoyed the ride no matter what, I learnt and developed so much on your servers. Thanks.

Chin up Sam, this time of year is usually a bit grim!
Swallow whatever it is that is stopping you asking for help and ask for help already.
CTRA is an exellent system would be a shame to see it go.

I had no idea you wanted or needed help,I'm sure there are plenty of people from the community willing to help. At the very least we could clear the report backlog.

Removing the abiltiy to report people in crta1 might reduce the workload. Its ment to be a server for new guys to learn. Any high ranked driver going in there should not be expecting perfect driving standards.
Im adjective to CTRA racing for a long time. I can abreact here. I will pay forr it, but i understand you Sam. Its hard work! GL!
Quote from -wes- :Removing the abiltiy to report people in crta1 might reduce the workload. Its ment to be a server for new guys to learn.

Race 1 is the one place that reporting should never be removed from. Educating people to race properly on race 1 is what keeps the standards higher on the other servers.

Lets hope it doesn't come down to closing CTRA, but if it does then that's fully understandable.

I very much doubt it would be a permanent thing. It would give those involved time to recharge their batteries and restructure the things that need looking at to prevent the massive workload and huge backlog of reports happening again.

Whatever the outcome i thank those involved for making CTRA the best public servers in LFS (and possibly sim racing in general). I have no doubt that if it disappears for a few months it will return bigger,better and more populour than ever.
Im sad to hear that Sam... I must agree that LFS wont be the same if CTRA servers and X-Sistem ceased to exist. It just wont be the same "product". It will still be LFS, but without an important online advantage.
Maybe it's time for a small vacations or maybe start considering "sitting down and talk" with the devs and try to find a path. Im sure that they know the proven magnitude of CTRA nowdays and that they wouldn't like their product to lose interess.
But i can be wrong.

My advice: Go out a bit at night, have a laugh, a smoke, a drink, a one night stand...get really laid!! Then sleep alot....wake up, take a hot shower, a good cup of coffe or tea, and send them a email. who know's ....can be your lucky day.

Cheers...
Quote from SabersKunk :Swallow whatever it is that is stopping you asking for help and ask for help already.

Direct but effective.

I believe it's called 'pride'
#43 - Jakg
Not really - several non-UKCT members already help with the reports, but I don't think Sam wants to give out admin rights "randomly" - i.e. without knowing someones character.

@S14 - You can be a real tosser about a service you don't even pay for, you know.
Sorry Jack, I've already said I'd pay a small monthly fee to support CTRA.

Since Sam doesn't even (and he's said this already) take note of anything we say on the forums anyway, looks like he won't be wanting it... I'd hardly call it a 'service' though..
#45 - Jakg
Service - "work done by one person or group that benefits another"

UKCT made the CTRA app and then hosted the servers and dealt with the reports for the benefit or LFS drivers - sounds like a service to me...?

EDIT - Either way, money isn't gonna fix this, and I don't really want money to be brought into CTRA (at least not in a dodgy "Pay2Race" way R2P did it - adverts might be ok) unless it's a silly amount of cash on a cheque with the name made out to "Jack Green". :P
Ahhh, Sad to hear this, i hope CTRA will live! it is my life! Also if you need my help in anyway just PM me
That's what you'd call "running a busy and popular server"...

If you wanted to make a profit out of it, or be on some sort of "upper echolon", maybe you shoulda tried it on a different game where people aren't cheap-skates.
#48 - Jakg
Running a server is a service, no? CTRA does that, and more (which is why it takes more effort than just setting up a Dedi - and why it's so popular).

Profit making was never CTRA's intention - but if it can make profit it might as well when you look at the rediculous amount of hours Sam pours into it
Quote from Jakg :Running a server is a service, no?

Of course it is Jakg. Best bet, ignore S14. Permanently.
It's not like he pays any attention, anyway.
This thread is closed

Current CTRA state
(96 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG