The online racing simulator
Quote from de Souza :Hi guys, the results are already up on our website (check the Events Calendar on the right).

The standings will be up soon as we have to sort some penalties yet.

I'd just like to point out that I am not from the UK. I'm Irish, so it should say (IRL) , rather than (UK)

Thanks.
Hmm I should have checked before writing that... Will change later.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Quote from Mp3 Astra :That's what I was hoping to hear and is exactly why that rule was changed. Everybody take Tommy's example (this is the last time I'll ever say that)!

hihi Just use your head guys. Breake a rule (which is no longer a rule) and drive race, or follow a stupid (If I can say that?) rule and dont drive the race. Choose the first one
Quote from niall09 :I'd just like to point out that I am not from the UK. I'm Irish, so it should say (IRL) , rather than (UK)

Thanks.

Fixed, along with some minor parenthesis with wrong colors.
Quote from Tomhah :hihi Just use your head guys. Breake a rule (which is no longer a rule) and drive race, or follow a stupid (If I can say that?) rule and dont drive the race. Choose the first one

Yeah, it's all our fault for actually caring about the regulations the organizers established... Thank you, shining star that brings us to enlightenment...
It's not your fault and that's why you're being given points for free... What else do you want them to do?
Who said I wanted something from the organizers?
I dunno you seemed a little defensive... Almost like you were blaming them of accusing you of something...
I would like to point out a few things here. So please be patient with this post as it may be quite long, however it will explain a few things that happened. Where as it was the first event, and the rule conflicted with what I have seen most people try to do, then I have started making some adjustments to the system and rules to resolve this issue in the future. I am sorry for those who are affecty, but we gave you points for your time, and you recieved more points than any knocked out in qualifying, which is the best we can give you.

Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Sure. During the first warm-up i kept loosing connection (i don't know why that was, it was fine all day up until we was all out on track with the insim thing running), perhaps that was an issue somehow, like BlackBird said... but there were others who got [unfairly] eliminated too, so did they time-out also?

I think there was a problem of some kind with the system after the first warm-up was completed (players not getting spectated or something?). Something went wrong with it, as you know, because the warm-up was then restarted.

At this point my connection seemed stable & i could finally set a time without disconnecting. Goody! I looked for my name for Quali 1, as told to do so, but it didn't appear... Goody i think again, i must be fast enough for Quali 2... ready to go out on track, waited for my name to be displayed. It never was. The end.

The first warmup session was restarted not because the system didn't work correctly, because it was running 100% what I made it do. However, in qualifying session #1 the system closed pitlanes afer 10 seconds. Which, is my fault, my mistake and I had left it in from doing some important tests earlier that morning. I had a late night trying to make the system allow the 3 minute emergency pit and retry time. As admins we figured there needed to be a way for people to redo things if something happened. That was the only reason we restarted warmup.

As for the disconnect/reconnecting issue, it "shouldn't" be a problem, but maybe it was. We have tested that pretty thouroughly with Taha constantly disconnecting and reconnecting but maybe you just did it at a very specific point. I however simply said that *might* be the issue. I think however the problem, with Taylor not getting a qualifying time, and the others were all simular. I thing its possible they either A) missed the text that calls them, and B) Followed my stupid rule and did not try to join each session. The combination of those two things leads us to this issue.

I will state that the system calling your name is, relatively easy to miss. To be honest, it tells you that the session has began, which session it was, says, "Join the session within 30 seconds." and possibly a couple other things all at once. I can see people having issues catching their name as it flys up. I don't like the everyone hit Shift-J approach, but it works and you'll find your session. Maybe mid-season I will add a better "calling" behaviour to the system so this won't be an issue. But for now everyone should just hit Shift-J and attempt to join each session..

Quote from J@tko :I think the one thing to remember is that rules are there to stop people cheating or gaining an unfair advantage, not to penalise you for things that are not your fault or where you're just trying to get on with racing. If there's a rule that you think is wrong then point it out to the admins, they want as much as you do for the racing to be done on the track and not with (potentially unfair) penalties post-race.

This is a very true statement, in the few series we have run we have always remained flexible with our rules when we see that they are unfair to the participants that are not trying to gain advantages or really doing things to break what we think of as key rules in Head-to-Head. The rule that was changed after Event 1, was originally made because we were just starting to make the system and the rules were made before hand. Since I was able to make the system spectate those that don't belong in a session, the rule is quite pointless. There are other examples, after Event 2 of the Summer Series a penalty was changed due to the amount of people who rolled or got stuck in the MRT, not completing their hotlap, or not reaching split one after their hotlap.

Quote from Tomhah :hihi Just use your head guys. Breake a rule (which is no longer a rule) and drive race, or follow a stupid (If I can say that?) rule and dont drive the race. Choose the first one

I do not agree that is called using your head. This statement is totally wrong, and I as an admin will take full responsibility for the actions of those who did not push Shift-J in fear of losing points for joining the wrong session. I gave them the points as if they passed qualifying but unfortately I can't do more. The ruling has now changed as we know so they will be happy to know how it should be done. I don't think any rule is ever stupid, its just that particular one was made for a reason that no longer exists. I give these guys more credit than a lot of others that made it deeper into the event; They read, and followed rules! Whether the rule caused them to miss out on the event or not, is my fault as an Admin, not their fault as a participant.

Quote from evilpimp :I dunno you seemed a little defensive... Almost like you were blaming them of accusing you of something...

He did seem defensive, but it wasn't defensive to the admins of Head-to-Head. He was just jumping on Tomhah's comment above about breaking the rule, and basically taking it as being blamed for following the rules getting him eliminated. As I said above, the entire incident is blamed to the admins and not the participants that followed the old ruling. I can assure you I am extremely sorry this was the case, I have seen the system work as is for four events in the Summer Series, for four test events prior to the Winter Series and I felt it was fine, however people that read and followed the rules as they were suppose to fell at the disadvantage and we hope that the points they were awarded give them something and they return to finish the series.

I told you it would be a long one, but I wanted to cover up all bases about what happened.
PROCEDURE CHANGE:

Quote from Old Procedure :Q.2) Two qualification sessions with half the grid. Slower racers in the first session, faster racers in the second.

Quote from New Procedure :Q.2) Two qualification sessions separating the grid. Faster racers in the first session, slower racers in the second.

Reason: The procedure was coded this way in the automated system because in the earlier days we accepted the late joiners and they would qualify in session two with the other racers that didn't make it into the first session. I want to point out there is no specific on this split, because it could be half, it could be a set limit of 10 in the faster session, but whichever it is the faster session will always have the same or LESS racers than the slower session to give them a small advantage for getting a good time in warmup.
Quote from blackbird04217 :
As for the disconnect/reconnecting issue, it "shouldn't" be a problem, but maybe it was. We have tested that pretty thouroughly with Taha constantly disconnecting and reconnecting

That really made me lol

Poor taha
Quote from J@tko :Poor taha

Not that he needs to try very hard for those disconnections to happen.
Glad my ISP helped for something at least.

Gotta admit its not nearly as bad as before! I guess that angry phone call they got helped a little. :P
Are there any replays anywhere?
Yea I will post them sometime, probably after event 2 I will sit and rename the replays for both events, I was lazy and didn't do this right after the event, and during the week I have been working on the Automated System to make the admin job a bit easier to get the results up quicker.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG