The online racing simulator
Change to Yellow Flag stat calculation suggestion
It just occurred to me that the current Yellow Flag stats as displayed on the CTRA homepage aren't necessarily indicative of that drivers current Yellow Flag performance.

The current calculation just simply takes a straight percentage of total yellow flags against total laps. Given that generally people improve as they gain experience I think that the current system seems to inaccurately indicate that such drivers are worse than they really are.

Therefore I would like to propose a simple adjustment to the calculation which would more accurately reflect a drivers recent driving stats ie.

Restrict the yellow flag calculation to the last 100 laps driven.

In fact it occurs to me now that the same could be said of the % race finish calculation, which again would be more accurate if restricted to recent performance.

This would have the added bonus, (I feel), of allowing the CTRA admins to get a better impression of recent driving behavior when having to make borderline decisions about actions to take on reports.
Besides that 100 laps would probably be far too few to give an accurate picture (your flag stat could change from worst to best within a day), unless the yellow flag incidents are stored separately with a timestamp, instead of being a simple number attached to a player, then this is impossible.

I don't know anything about CTRA's database model, but personally I'd choose the increasing number approach since one entry per yellow flag per player could very quickly get rather big. Anyway, you'll probably have to wait for Sam or Becky to get an accurate answer
#3 - SamH
I recently increased the level of data collection on race results quite significantly. I'm currently looking at just over a quarter of a million individual race results. I will look at an efficient way to chart recent performance compared with overall performance.
Quote from SamH :I recently increased the level of data collection on race results quite significantly. I'm currently looking at just over a quarter of a million individual race results. I will look at an efficient way to chart recent performance compared with overall performance.

That would be even better. Thanks.

Quote from niall09 :Nice idea, but I think it should be more than last 100laps.

Well I was actually thinking more in terms of time, but I wasn't sure if the system would support such as system. Also it wouldn't be an equal comparison if based on time as has already been aluded to some people do a lot more laps than others in a day/week.

Maybe something along the lines of the number of laps that the average frequency user would achieve in a week?? I think a week is a good period as there would be no motivation to drive well if you can have a good/poor days driving and it has no impact on your stats. Well that's my way of thinking anyway.
#6 - SamH
I've added an additional graphic representation to the stats lookup page, of yellow flags over a rolling 28 days prior. I will add the same to the MyCTRA page shortly.

Unfortunately it's not possible to do the same with % races finished with the current data collection because the data is stored at race end. If someone doesn't finish, no stats are recorded for them.
Thats excellent!

Can this be added to the stats on MyCTRA page also?
Quote from SamH :I've added an additional graphic representation to the stats lookup page, of yellow flags over a rolling 28 days prior. I will add the same to the MyCTRA page shortly.

Unfortunately it's not possible to do the same with % races finished with the current data collection because the data is stored at race end. If someone doesn't finish, no stats are recorded for them.

Great thanks Sam. But where exactly has this change been made? I can't seem to find anything on the CTRA website and when on line $stats gives the same info as before for me.

Edited - don't worry I found it. It's on the CTRA page of the individual drivers who are currently in the monthly stats page. Looks good, thanks again.
#9 - SamH
Stats are now added to the MyCTRA page. Shown are yellow flag ratio for the last 56 days and for the last 28 days. This way it should be possible to chart your overall yellow flag ratio improvements more comprehensively
#10 - w126
Thanks, I look much better with these new stats.
However, I was just wondering what is the exact meaning of these new stats. I happen to be on CTRA for less than 56 days , so I thought that 'Yellows' percentage on the MyCTRA page should be the same as 'Yellow Flag Ratio (Last 56 days)' in my case, but it is not. Is that correct? Is 'Yellow Flag Ratio (Last 56 days)' calculated only from finished races?
#11 - SamH
Yes, these stats are only taken from races you finish. The classic ratio is the absolute statistic, calculated simply on the number of yellows thrown in the number of laps driven, whether you finish the race or not. This is why the new stats are grey rather than orange, because they're not 100% definitive.
Yay! I have only 4% yellows!

Thanks Sam
Quote :Yellows: 1426 39%
Yellow Flag Ratio (Last 56 days): 25%
Yellow Flag Ratio (Last 28 days): 24%

should i be happy?
Quote from SamH :Yes, these stats are only taken from races you finish. The classic ratio is the absolute statistic, calculated simply on the number of yellows thrown in the number of laps driven, whether you finish the race or not. This is why the new stats are grey rather than orange, because they're not 100% definitive.

True not 100% definitive but I still believe more accurate of current performance than the overall stats, for some people at least.

Thanks once again, more than I was hoping for.
In IE , I have small green bars and orange dots to show each races stats but not in firefox?

Using ad-block and noscript , but cant see anything that I'm blocking.

#16 - SamH
Quote from Turbo Dad :In IE , I have small green bars and orange dots to show each races stats but not in firefox?

Using ad-block and noscript , but cant see anything that I'm blocking.

Assuming you're looking at the Stats lookup page rather than MyCTRA, in Firefox click "also show races" and they should appear
I'm not sure why but the stat figure with the lowest yellows is the one with the tallest bar in my profile.
Attached images
ctra_yellows.png
#18 - SamH
Think of more yellow/grey as better than less, as in the other stats. The better the statistic, the higher the bar.
Quote from SamH :Assuming you're looking at the Stats lookup page rather than MyCTRA, in Firefox click "also show races" and they should appear

Was looking at myctra but stats look up is the same.
clicking on show races does nothing for me.
#20 - SamH
Which version of FF are you using?
#22 - SamH
Leave it with me.. I'll see if I can figure it out.
Don't stress It's probably me :sorry:
#24 - SamH
Okies, I think that bug's fixed now. Lemme know if it isn't for you
All sorted

Change to Yellow Flag stat calculation suggestion
(34 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG